Notices

How do you cope with the cravings?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you cope with the cravings?

Hey guys. This is my first thread. I've been visiting this site off and on for awhile and don't post much, just read. It's amazing how much people have gone through the SAME EXACT things as me. It has made me realize I'm not so "crazy" after all. I've been drinking for 12-13 years. First it was binging every weekend. Then it became EVERY DAY (even on work days during lunch and "bathroom breaks.") Lately, I go on binges lasting anywhere from 7 to (my longest binge) 42 days straight...all day EVERY day. I had my first seizure when I quit after 42 days and thought everyone was out to kill me, etc, etc. The thing is, I quit....swear I'm NEVER gonna touch alcohol again (and I MEAN IT AT THE TIME!)...then out of nowhere I feel like I'm gonna die (feels like I shot up 10 Red Bulls all of a sudden) and I start the rollercoaster ride again. I "quit" April 1st and just went and got 2 40 oz's of malt liquor. Do you guys get these? How do you cope with the cravings. Mine are SO STRONG when they come on out of nowhere. I was SO sure I was done this time...and look at me now. Starting to get hopeless.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to admit I was powerless over alcohol, that my life had become unmanageable.

I found recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-12-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou, Bob. I never thought I needed AA, but now I'm willing to go. I AM powerless over alcohol.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

What helped me was knowing that each time I got through a craving, the next time would be a bit easier.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou Anna
Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

This technique helped me in the early days:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Support really helps too - whats your support network like, ohgod?
D
Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My support network i basically myself. Every time I stop drinking, i really feel that I AM done. Then out of nowhere the killer cravings hit. Can't fool myself anymore I've realized! Last binge I really feared for my life. Thought that would be a "wake-up" call. When I started feeling a lot better....the cravings kicked in. WORSE THAN EVER BEFORE! I'm gonna give AA a shot, but gettin' a little hopeless here.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think once we try it our own way and that doesn't work it's good to explore other options

I know you'll find support here - and at AA meetings too

D
Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We're posting on a similar topic tonight AA sounds good ohgod247. I've found the logical cravings okay to deal with, but mainly from reading up on AVRT and practising mindfulness. I think maybe the anxiety stuff can be separated from the alcohol problem slightly...obviously it has a knock-on effect but if it's something you've had before you drank have you ever got help for that separately?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You don't have to give in to cravings. It's just a feeling - an uncomfortable one, to be sure - but it can't hurt you. If you're quitting there's no way around feeling like you want a drink - you just have to get through it because you know that drinking is nutso for a million reasons.

Just tell 'em to f off, I say You're the one in control here, not your feelings. When your emotions sober up, then you guys can chat, lol. They are like a kid having a tantrum - you don't want to respond with more drama. Just ignore as much as you can.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

welcome ohgod247!

I had cravings like that too, ones that would come on strong all of the sudden. It helps to know they're going to happen and be ready for them (AVRT is great for that). Coming here with my morning coffee was one simple thing I did so I could start the day with motivation.

You'll find lots of ideas around here..... Glad you decided to start posting!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Heh, Im not exactly sure how I get rid of my cravings. This is my 3rd day of sobriety and when I got home, a craving slapped me right in the face. So I got online and found this thread, and now the craving is subsiding! Thanks for posting Ohgod!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If you try to do battle with your cravings you will lose. Your cravings know everything about you, every hope, every fear, every need, and they will do everything to convince you that another drink is the answer to all of those. Even when you are about to lose everything you need to make your life worth living, even when you are about to lose your life itself.

So? Don't battle your cravings. Stop and step aside. Watch and observe your craving. Did something in particular cause it? Is your heart rate going up? Are you feeling anxious? Try to answer these questions by watching the cravings and leaving them be, accepting them. GirlFromCo is saying the same thing. It is a feeling, no more than that. It will pass and you will remain. Sober.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The mental obsession (cravings) was the hardest part for me. By the time I quit drinking I was thinking about alcohol all day long.
If it's any help, I found that I had different kinds of thoughts about alcohol. Some thoughts were just habitual. Since I would always start my evening drinking between 3 and 6PM, those thoughts would pop up out of habit. Those kinds of thoughts weren't so hard to deal with because they were habit based. I could distract myself with doing something else.
But there were other thoughts that came much closer to craving. Those were very powerful thoughts and based on a real need to drink to numb my emotions: I would always have those thoughts during periods of intense, negative emotions: great stress, anger, frustration, loneliness, etc.
Those cravings were not so easy to deal with because the desire to drink was as powerful as the emotions I was trying to numb with drink.
The solution for that was using a recovery program that helped me learn about my emotions and how to avoid reaching that desperate emotional state that had me thinking I needed a drink. I am much more calm and content these days.

Speaking only from my own personal experience, I noticed that after about 3 months of sobriety, the cravings and drinking thoughts dropped out of the picture and I could experience days and days in a row without a single thought about alcohol.
And, it only gets better.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I developed a strong liking for honey, a spoonful when cravings hit, it took the edge off so I could deal with the mental part better.

yea, it's tough, but hang in there, it gets better.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I ask God for help.

I also recall what will happen to my body if I drink.

When I drink ____. (this happens) Fill in the blank.

Make a list of your concessions.

Recite your concessions at the time of a craving.

Having a network of sober friends to call is very helpful.

Coming to SR is helpful.

Thinking about AA literature and what I have learned helps me.

Prepare your defense. There is much you can do to put a good distance between you and a drink.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks. You guys are great and seemed to really understand what I'm going through. I got pretty buzzed that night so I decided to let the site be. Didn't wanna say anything stupid. Thank you again.