Notices

48 hours done!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

48 hours done!

Instead of drinking tonight I went to dinner with my lady. I might not do that again for a while as I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of Alcohol related ads, menu options, and waitresses asking if I wanted a drink...I just got a good old iced tea with lemon...VICTORY!!! It's been years since I've eaten out without drinking atleast 2 beers or more. Then we hit Starbucks, and did some window shopping for some house decor...since I'll have some extra money from not drinking I'll have to spend it somewhere!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome!

You won't get away from the ads, though! They are everywhere. Then they fade into the background. Last time I was at a bar, I had a decadent piece of chocolate cake and coffee with my sponsor. I was watching people at the bar and mentally trying to figure out who was an alkie, who was just there for fun, and who was a hard drinker......LOL

I just don't even bother looking today. I enjoy the conversation!

(the restaurant was too full for a real table, so we were seated in the bar area for our dessert)

Why not save that extra money for a really cool sober vacation?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats you have made it another day and that is incredible.:ghug3
Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome and well done

Sounds like a nice day to me.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You're doing a great job and I'm sure your wife appreciates it too.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

For me all the reminders triggering urges and restlessness settled down over a few months. It has no impact on me now (nearly 11 months).

There is a great sense of freedom when all that stuff wanes.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Never realised how many alcohol related ads there are till I tried to quit. Certainly makes things more difficult.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Fantastic, Ryan!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good on ya, buddy. You can have a day like this everyday.

The liquor ads DO fade away. You're just becoming a guy who doesn't drink and that's a great way to live.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good job! having ads for beer everywhere and getting asked multiple times for a drink can make it difficult, good self restraint and like you said- now you have a little more spending money
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ive reached 3 days. I didn't sleep much again last night and had a headache most of the day. I thought about drinking a lot today. Around dinner time I started talking nonsense about having beers after work tomorrow which really pissed off my wife, then of course I felt like she was attacking me instead of supporting me and all that BS. The cravings were very strong. I swear all I wanted to do was pound down about 6 cold budweisers it's all that consumed my mind. This has been the hardest day so far to defeat. Going to bed now. Gotta make a plan for the weekend. Don't know what to do.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days. You gotta have a plan! Don't have those beers after work. Do what you have to do to avoid them - take a different way home, go to AA meeting, go for a walk / exercise, etc. Ask friends for support! Come post to the boards!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

4 days done...this is the first Friday night I haven't drank in probably 12 years, maybe more. Who knows, I can't remember. For whatever reason I'm not that thrilled. I'm actually angry and have been so for two days. I've also had moments of happiness or elation although short lived, Is this normal? Im mad because my poor choices will not allow me to do what I suppose other normal people do on Fridays. Drink. I may be delusional, or trying to find reasons. I'm actually quite confused right now. Trying to find whatever the hell it is I'm supposed to do, not even sure who I am or how to spend my time. I can't believe I'm nearly 40 and doing this right now.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Totally normal, RR. I believe you'll find many here who experience quite a roller coaster during their initial period of sobriety.

In my experience, acceptance is key and is something that can only come from within. Romanticizing and/or longing for a return to the drinking days is oftentimes the initial drift towards relapse.

Keep working, and in time your perspective will change for the better. Finding sobriety ahead of age 40 is a blessing.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wtg RR!!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job, really in my experience the first two weekends are the toughest, especially if you did the majority of your drinking on the weekends. I could get through the week no problem, it was friday and saturday nights that my mind would mess with me.

Dont give in, the cold buds talking to you were the ones that got you into this situation, dont let them take you back!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

5 Freakin Days!

I've reached my first goal of 5 days. Yay me It's has been tough for sure but I could not have done it without the encouragement and advice of those who replied to my posts. Thank you all so much. it has given me a place to vent and tools to use in my fight. I have re-read so many of those replies in times where I've doubted I could do this. It's not the end by any means...changing my relationship with alcohol and curing my liver disease is the long term goal. Short term is to turn 5 into 10!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Excellent!

You can always read about AVRT on line or look up the book Alcoholics Anonymous online. Some things to add to your arsenal!

Keep moving forward!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugarbear