Notices

Sick and tired

Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick and tired

Another Sunday ruined from Saturday"s drinking. Has anyone had the experience that when alone they can have a drink or two but socially they go crazy and often cannot slow down? I had planned some baking with my wife and daughters and my brother was coming over to make cheese. That wasn"t good enough for me I called a few people had a bbq that turned into no baking with my daughters, 13 beers and a miserable Easter Sunday...I am so sick of that! Though a week or two will go by and I will be convinced that I can have three beers or so at some social event...any advice would be most appreciated
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It takes a lot of motivation to stop drinking, so you need to be firmly committed. I had to believe that drinking was no longer an option, no matter what, and then I began to find better and healthier ways to get through each day.

We have lots of support to offer.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Pittzburghkid

I never had any control, by myself or with friends...but I'd use the times when 'nothing bad happened' to help convince myself that control was possible...maybe...somehow.

I tried for 20 years - never got there.

Life's been a lot better since I admitted alcohol and I have a toxic relationship and that the times I appeared to have control were more good luck than good management.

If you're a drinker like me, I believe you can't have 3 beers anytime - it just keeps you in the cycle,PK.

D
Old 04-09-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. So many things I could have done but instead I chose the alcohol...You're not alone. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Pittzburgkid!

Yeah, that sounds pretty familiar. I always overdid it at parties.... even after my college days and 20's were over, I was never one to have a couple drinks and go home like a lot of people. Eventually, it crept into my weeknights too....a drink here or there, then two or three a couple nights a week, on and on..... just a slow progressive thing.

I think it's great that you're asking questions and taking a look at your drinking. Alcohol can really mess up our lives.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Alcohol can really mess up our lives.
Agreed...it messes up our lives and steals our happiness ....
Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was the same way. I would drink to always get drunk. The problem was that after a few years, the once week getting drunk came to 3 nights a week and 5 days and then 2 weeks straight. I lost a few jobs because of my drinking. Not now when it's easier to control your urges.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pittzburghkid View Post
Though a week or two will go by and I will be convinced that I can have three beers or so at some social event...any advice would be most appreciated
You should be convinced now that you can't do that...Use this site for support...I use AA for support and work that program...If AA is not for you...Find something that is....This thing is progressive and it will kill you...I've seen enough proof of that. Hang on to that wife and kids you have...And get yourself busy.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Ditto Sampling
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, they certainly make sense. I don't see my drinking progressing as I am almost 40 and have been a weekend warrior all my life. But my drinking in it's current state is destructive enough! It would be such a paradigm shift in my life as all things social were centered around beer. Would you recommend that we get rid of all alcohol in the house? My wife could do without her glass or two of wine so it mainly is there for entertaining. What about when you entertain...do you allow your friends to bring alcohol? I think if someone brought craft beer to my house I would start to consider how I could rationalize use?