Notices

Early recovery

Old 04-08-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early recovery

How did everyone feel physically in early recovery?

I'm a sleeper. Slightly disturbed in the first week but still slept loads and felt great, very positive. Then 2-3 weeks in I started getting 'hangover' headaches. 4 weeks + and things are getting foggy and a bit lightheaded...

There seems to be so many different responses to quitting I thought it would be interesting to see what happened to different people and when things started feeling 'normal'...
Old 04-08-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely had headaches for quite a while....and fogginess and lightheadedness right from the start.

If you haven't already it might be an idea to get yourself checked out if you're concerned - if only to set your mind at rest

D
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 1 to 3: Miserable Detox
First month: Kind of in a fog
Month 2 to 6: "Pink Cloud"
Month 6 to 9: Major Depression
After 9 months: Kind of like a normal human being again
After 16 months: Every day is a little different, however, now my worst days sober are far, far better than my best days drunk...

Zube
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I'm with you on the sleeping. I was exhausted for the better part of a week and all I wanted to do was sleep. A couple of weeks in, the afternoon headaches started but went away after another week. Then I started feeling pretty darned good.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
How did everyone feel physically in early recovery?

I'm a sleeper. Slightly disturbed in the first week but still slept loads and felt great, very positive. Then 2-3 weeks in I started getting 'hangover' headaches. 4 weeks + and things are getting foggy and a bit lightheaded...

There seems to be so many different responses to quitting I thought it would be interesting to see what happened to different people and when things started feeling 'normal'...
in early recovery diet is important
Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you haven't already it might be an idea to get yourself checked out if you're concerned - if only to set your mind at rest

D
Thanks Dee, I have a Doc appointment booked. I never shy away on that front
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I'm on day 23 so it's about 3 weeks.

I forget things. Little things. Like what dvd is playing. I just looked at it 10 minutes ago and now have no clue. There is no cover, I found it on my daughter's tv stand. I know it has Anthony Hopkins in it.

And driving. I'll be thinking about things, and drive right past my destination.

I was asking around for a certain book and it turned out that I own it. It was up in the attic where I put it.

My brain is in some kind of slo-mo zone-out state.

And I tire pretty easily.

Hoping you feel better, hypochondriac.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I felt like death for 2-3 weeks, then things got a little better day by day. Sleeping became semi-regular after about a month and a half...after 2 months I felt "normal"...then one day I realized that I actually felt good, eyes were clear, mind wasn't foggy, skin looked better. It took a solid year or more for my short term memory to come back...and about that long before I could wake up from nightmares and thank God that I wan't that person any longer and go back to sleep.....mind you, I didn't have nightmares everynight during that time.

It is these memories that help keep me sober,

Cathy
Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it took me months to feel "normal". I abused my body for years and it took awhile for the healing process. I had mental, emotional, and physical scars that had to heal. I didn't become a full blown alcoholic overnight and so recovery was and is a learning process. Life happens and it isn't always good, but I can handle it better sober than drunk. I am still amazed when I wake up without a hangover and remember eveything from the night before. I have a little over one year sober. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stairs View Post
I forget things. Little things. Like what dvd is playing.
I'm with ya on this one Stairs. That thing, when you walk into a room and can't remember what you went there for... I swear I do that in every room! Sometimes it feels like I'm still drunk...it's a relief when I remember I'm not
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm just past 7 months and I still get fatigued and love some naps. I, generally, sleep pretty well but, from time to time, do have a night of insomnia. Like last night. No real reason. Just cuz.

EXTREME chocolate craving, early on, and weight gain. I'm working on correcting that now. My energy levels are up to the point where I enjoy exercising. Partly also due, I'm sure, to the better weather coming on.