Notices

Knock on my door

Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When I post in response to a newcomer and I hesitate about mentioning my spiritual experience as it might put them off or that AA helped me get sober. Even though I can't make meetings, its program is solid as far as I 'm concerned. Then I think what the heck this is my experience, post what happened.
I don't know anyone that responds well to the hard sell. I have noticed one of our beloved members who was very gungho at the beginning about a certain program has mellowed somewhat and the maturity and love that comes through her posts is quite inspiring. Just by the tone of her posts I know that she is working the program and the program is working for her.
We need to learn and practice tolerance, I am especially talking to myself here.
CaiHong
Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I like your response GFC so first of all I’ll respond to the OP.

The OP gave an example of someone who “was going through a tough time” and “needed support”. It was apparently suggested they go to AA. This was interpreted as telling the person they needed AA type recovery. I’m not sure what post was being referred to, but by the OPs description of it, I would make a very different interpretation. The suggestion to go to AA could have been specifically addressing the need for support. It’s my experience that face to face support from people (even better from those who know me personally) is much more effective than from people who don’t via the internet. Hence the response.

Regarding “living under a rock” (makes me think that the rock is alcohol and the “hard place” is the bottom). Ya. It may seem like everyone in the world knows that AA exists nearly everywhere. But that is in fact not the case. I am now posting in the “newcomers to recovery” forum. Many newcomers, in fact, do not know this. The evidence of this pops up all the time on this “newcomers” forum.

With respect to the point about addressing the OPs concerns I have to agree. There should be more specifics, for those persons who ask for them. People who are claiming that their method works should say how it worked for them, and be as specific as possible. It’s a bit more difficult when it comes to AA because, at least in part, you need to experience it (and not just a few meetings) to really understand how helpful it is. Being around a bunch of people who have gone through much of what you have and overcome it is invaluable. Unfortunately there is a lot of prejudice about the “type” of people who attend AA, ironically, from other alcoholics who have not attended nor attempted this recovery method.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Wink

Knock Knock Knock.......door open ........(m) hello......we are Jehovahs witnesses and we are here to teach you about Jehovah.
(me)Are you two going to heaven.....pause......Yes
"Then I don't want to go there"........Door Slam.

This was my old standard now I am polite and usaully carry on a little small talk before stating that I am spiritually set and wishing them well on down the road to the next door. Yes love and tolerance are the key words now especially since I have been knocking on a few doors for AA.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"I think many people are afraid of it because it's a part of that "alcoholic" image/stereotype that we all have problems with at first."

An standard which I, heroically, tried to satisfy.

Honestly, I used to wake up and say to myself, "This being a blackout drunk is just not working out!". Usually as I scanned my e-mail, text message log and outgoing calls to see whom I might have outraged.

"I'm having obsessive thoughts and really think I want to drink." Proper response; "Get to a meeting. Call your sponsor. Call someone in your group."

"My mom passed away and I'm feeling lost and alone." Proper response; "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. Is there anything we can do? I hope you can call someone. You shouldn't be alone right now. I'll say a prayer for you. Please stay in touch."
Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Heathen

I go back and forth on my opinion of this too. Hell.. if I thought sprinkling lemon juice on my head got me recovered, I'd probably run around sprinkling it on everyone too. Out of love
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ just wait til I get my fish and chips

I think everybody shares from their own experience and a place of love.
Everyone wants to share what has worked for them.

Sometimes in our enthusiasm yes I think we can share too insistently - I know I have - but I think people learn after a while it's not necessary to do that here

I like what my friend Ann says - share once and I'm sharing my experience - share more than once with the same thoughts and I might just be posting more about myself and what I think you need....

D
Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SOBERINNEPA View Post
."I'm having obsessive thoughts and really think I want to drink." Proper response; "Get to a meeting. Call your sponsor. Call someone in your group."
I tend to think that the proper response to that statement is one that offers the most help to a person in a specific situation. If I said "I'm having obsessive thoughts and really think I want to drink," I wouldn't be helped at all if you said "Get to a meeting. Call your sponsor. Call someone in your group." I don't go to meetings, or have a sponsor, or a group and I would get annoyed if people started parroting that line back to me. I would feel like they weren't listening to me. For me and people like me, the "proper" response would probably look more like something you think you should save for someone whose Mom just died. For someone who is established in AA, your approach would be the right one.

"Proper" to me means appropriate to the situation. Everyone is different and not one thing works for everyone. That's all I'm saying - I'm not against AA, how could I be? I just think that giving out the same response for every different problem or question on SR is a waste of time for everyone involved. For some people, yeah, it's great. For many others, it's not and that's not going to change just because you do it over and over again.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I like what my friend Ann says - share once and I'm sharing my experience - share more than once with the same thoughts and I might just be posting more about myself and what I think you need....
D!!!! You WOULD post that right after I post again with the same thoughts! LOL!!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Some people are a bit heavy handed but I think in a lot of cases, it's just because AA is the best known program/treatment, and fairly universal. I don't do AA, I have other support, but whatever you do I think that support/guidance can be crucial, and some people just don't do that well on their own, so I always encourage people to seek out their local support options in recovery.

I'm a Christian but I don't believe in door knocking, I believe more in setting a good personal example, and that also seems to be the general philosophy of AA. There are signs you can get to place on your door to say no to unsolicited callers btw, probably easiest solution.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

They don't read those signs. Then the signs look inappropriate. Can't win 'em all!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
When I post in response to a newcomer and I hesitate about mentioning my spiritual experience as it might put them off or that AA helped me get sober. Even though I can't make meetings, its program is solid as far as I 'm concerned. Then I think what the heck this is my experience, post what happened.
I don't know anyone that responds well to the hard sell. I have noticed one of our beloved members who was very gungho at the beginning about a certain program has mellowed somewhat and the maturity and love that comes through her posts is quite inspiring. Just by the tone of her posts I know that she is working the program and the program is working for her.
We need to learn and practice tolerance, I am especially talking to myself here.
CaiHong
I know a couple of beautiful souls like that here. I'm so proud of them.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firehazard View Post
Knock Knock Knock.......door open ........(m) hello......we are Jehovahs witnesses and we are here to teach you about Jehovah.
(me)Are you two going to heaven.....pause......Yes
"Then I don't want to go there"........Door Slam.

This was my old standard now I am polite and usaully carry on a little small talk before stating that I am spiritually set and wishing them well on down the road to the next door. Yes love and tolerance are the key words now especially since I have been knocking on a few doors for AA.
I probably shouldn't have laughed at this but I did.