Notices

Non-Functional

Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non-Functional

Hello Everyone,
I just signed up a few minutes ago and I have to say this seems like a very helpful place. I have been held captive in my room for the past 3 years by alcohol. Of course there were moments of hope. I had about 45 days sober about 2 years ago after I had a seizure from alcohol withdrawal in a bar of all places as I was getting ready to take a sip of a White Russian. Apparently I had also had one about an hour earlier which I heard later from a friend. My mother upon hearing the news drove up from California(I'm in Oregon) and demanded that I stay with her for a while. Everything was good for about a month until I decided I was bored and wanted to get a job. Within a week of starting my job I had the brilliant idea of asking my boss for a $20 front. She agreed to it and the first thing I did, since my mother was to receive my checks to avoid such a thing, was go by a bottle of Brandy. I hid my drinking for about another month. She thought I was doing well and I convinced her to let me go back to Oregon.
Somehow I have been living off of Financial Aid for the past 2 years even though the only time I can even pass a class is if it is online. I hardly leave the room that I rent. For the past week I could hardly get any booze down as it was coming from both ends all the time. Dry heaves, feeling like I was going to die. I went to the Emergency Room yesterday. Talk about embarrassing. Technically I am not sober yet as I was prescribed Valium to prevent major withdrawal symptoms. I really, really want this to work. I hope someone on here has had a similar experience. I also hope that when I have some days under my belt that I can share with you all and we can help each other out for a long time to come.
Thank you,
Ryan
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Ryan))) - Welcome to SR! Though alcohol wasn't my "thing" (I'm a recovering crack addict), there are a lot of people here who understand. I even found out that it didn't matter, so much, what we abuse, as we have a lot in common.

I'm glad you went to the ER, as alcohol withdrawal can be very serious (as you found out with the seizures). SR has been a huge part of my recovery, and I'm really glad you found us.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to the family
Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile Thank You

Thank You Amy,
I really appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ryan - what a story. I'm so glad you made it here and are going to get well. Signing up here and reaching out is progress.

I was also made captive by alcohol. In the end I had to have it in my system at all times. It was my constant companion. There was no joy or hope left for me. It was destroying my soul. I wasn't ready to give up on my life, though. I now have 4 yrs. sober, and I know you can kick alcohol out of your life too. Please stay with us and keep posting. We care about you.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome rydef!

You'll find a lot of people here who can relate. I tried to stop/control it on my own and could barely put two sober days together. I'm glad you got medical help..... things will get better if you hang in there. Keep reading and posting!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Booze and Valium, my old favorites......

Are you planning on attending AA meetings ?
They've kept me sober for nearly 23 years, may help you too.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Bob,
I forgot to mention that I also stopped taking klonipin, smoking weed, smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Congratulations on your sobriety. I have been to AA in the past. I did not care for it, of course I never got a sponsor or anything, I just listened and rarely spoke.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ryan

I'm really glad you made it through all that
You'll find a lot of support - and a few ideas - here

D
Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

AS they say at AA - It works if YOU work it...I just went through detox in the hospital, no seizures, but lots of other fun things. For me AA is helping tremondously even if it is just to get out of the house and talk with other people who UNDERSTAND what I am going through and have been there.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, rydef, SR is a great place, it's helped me so much!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rydef View Post
I have been to AA in the past. I did not care for it, of course I never got a sponsor or anything, I just listened and rarely spoke.
Not exactly being in AA....Yeah your story sounds just like my last couple years....Holed up in my room drinking myself to death...I actually got to the point that I didn't think I'd get out of it...I felt like I was beyond being helped...I had a supervised detox...Was introduced to AA...Got a sponsor and worked the steps...It changed my life...And saved it. I hope you find something that works for you....Because your body and mind will only take that for so long. I was lucky I stopped when I did.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rydef,

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Oh memories of the daze. Drinking then some coke or something then valium to sleep and stop shaking in the morning to drinking ect. ect.

Thanks for the reminder of what I dont want anymore.

You have found a great place.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Welcome, Ryan! I've been where you are and it's not a fun place to live, that's for sure. So glad to see you reaching out for support; you will definitely find it here. It DOES help to have some kind of program in addition ... a program will give you the tools to help you through the difficult times when you find yourself wanting to drink. AA is a program of participation, not passivity ... that is to say, going to meetings and listening isn't enough. It's only beneficial if you get a sponsor and honestly work the steps. Give it a chance - it has helped many, many people. But if its not for you, though, there are other programs like AVRT, SMART, etc. that can help.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery. Glad you're here.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I was very isolated in the final stages of my addiction, so I think I understand a bit of what you are going through. This is a great place to get support and it's always only a click or two away.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Try searching AVRT and read about it, and/or go back to AA. We often need something to supplement our ability to stay stopped.

You can stay stopped, too!