Notices

Unsuccessful counseling.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsuccessful counseling.

Counseling, hasn't seemed to ever work for me. I would often come out of the counseling wanting to drink even more. Does anyone else have this problem?

Having a constant stream of a 1-on-1 conversation with someone about alcohol only etched the idea of drinking even further into my brain.

I also don't know if this is something I consciously or unconsciously do, but when other people place me into a persona I can't help but fit into that persona.
One conscious decision I've made was, "Why be accused of something I'm not doing, when I can get accused of something and do it" ie: sneaking booze...

Is this a common problem where counseling doesn't work?
Have any of you found that you've been more successful on your own? All the medical professionals I've talked to have pretty much told me it's impossible.

Still sober, and feeling great!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DataDog View Post
Is this a common problem where counseling doesn't work?
I never tried counseling....I tried AA and that worked.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that's a side that your not ready to quit drinking yet. I'm in that part of my life now too. If I talk about drinking then I would drink more. Try to find out why you want to drink more after counsling. Most likely you will want to drink more after AA meetings too. Do you have trust issues? If so then can't move forward with help without some treat with the people to ask help for. Good luck
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DataDog, my alcoholism is a physical, mental, emotional, spiritual disease.
I need treatment that addresses all of those facets. I find it, like Sapling, in Alcoholics Anonymous.

You're right ACTIONpack, I recently came to the conclusion that is why GOD put billions of people on this earth. I should be able to find 1 or 2 out of the bunch that I can trust and befriend. I'm Bob and I'm an alcoholic.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep, i'd often go get plastered after a counseling session , didnt work for me, just made me worse, i think alot of counselers are a joke to be honest, i'm same as sapling , AA worked for me too...try it, its way more powerful...i think if everyone did AA and worked the steps then there would be no need for counselers fullstop! lol
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny2times View Post
i think if everyone did AA and worked the steps then there would be no need for counselers fullstop! lol
A lot of Armies could retire as well !! How's your day, Johnny??
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny2times View Post
yep, i'd often go get plastered after a counseling session , didnt work for me, just made me worse, i think alot of counselers are a joke to be honest, i'm same as sapling , AA worked for me too...try it, its way more powerful...i think if everyone did AA and worked the steps then there would be no need for counselers fullstop! lol
Sorry Johnny2times but I don't believe counselors are a joke. Recovery is a hard thing to get over it because it's all in your mind and addiction. Just because you do something about it does not mean your ready to change. I know people who stop drinking after counseling and AA but life time recovery is very low. There is no pill to take to stay sober for the rest of our life. It's all will power and it's hard on us to do that.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Find a better/different counselor. For me, it was critical to my recovery success. Other than our first session answering the "Why are you here?" question, we never talked about my actual drinking again, I had way bigger stuff to work on which took care of the drinking part on it's own really.

Or, if you don't want to have counseling, don't.. there are lots of recovery programs/methods out there.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Flutter's point. There should be no need to talk endlessly about drinking with a therapist. Stopping drinking is the first step and I believe that it takes lots of inside work, lots of dealing with the issues in life that you've been avoiding. That's how counselling could help you, if you find the right therapist.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I've been very happy with my addiction counsellor. We actually don't talk much about drinking, and rather we talk about readjusting to my life sober and breaking up old mental habits. She's really more of a life coach to me, and I find the talks extremely important to my sobriety.

One-on-one counselling may not be for everyone, and God knows that there are many lousy therapists, but to blow off the entire idea is kinda silly. With all due respect, I see this thread spiralling into "my method is the best and every other method sucks"..
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Having a constant stream of a 1-on-1 conversation with someone about alcohol only etched the idea of drinking even further into my brain.
Did your counselor ever suggest that you simply do the obvious and quit drinking forever? Or did they tell you that you have 'issues' that you can't deal with so you 'cope' with them by drinking?

Have any of you found that you've been more successful on your own?
Yes, I have.

All the medical professionals I've talked to have pretty much told me it's impossible.
They lie.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

alcoholics are great actors, always playing a part in the play called "Life"
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Did your counselor ever suggest that you simply do the obvious and quit drinking forever? Or did they tell you that you have 'issues' that you can't deal with so you 'cope' with them by drinking?

Yes, I have.

They lie.

I've been refused help in an outpatient facility because my problem is too big to deal with outside of inpatient, apparently. But I can't afford to go to an inpatient facility cus of lost wages... and if I don't want to go to an inpatient facility and uproot my life, I don't foresee me kicking booze after an inpatient visit.

So to answer your question, I've had several counselors and have heard those things multiple times.

I find that If I can quit on my own terms, no forced group therapy, or improbable hoops to jump through, I'll be more successful.

"But you're an alcoholic, alcoholics can't just quit drinking."
That really burnt my ass when it came out of my physician at the time.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
"But you're an alcoholic, alcoholics can't just quit drinking."
That really burnt my ass when it came out of my physician at the time.
This is nonsense.

I've been refused help in an outpatient facility because my problem is too big to deal with outside of inpatient, apparently. But I can't afford to go to an inpatient facility cus of lost wages... and if I don't want to go to an inpatient facility and uproot my life, I don't foresee me kicking booze.
You don't need to go to rehab to kick the booze to the curb, nor do you need to uproot your life.

I find that If I can quit on my own terms, no forced group therapy, or improbable hoops to jump through, I'll be more successful.
If you want do-it-yourself recovery without groups, meetings, or therapy, Rational Recovery is probably your best bet.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What is Rational Recovery? is it easier if I just google it?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What is Rational Recovery? is it easier if I just google it?
They teach an aggressive method of self-recovery, called AVRT, that doesn't require therapy or groups. I'll send you some links. Check your private messages. There's also an active discussion thread on AVRT in the secular connections forum.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just skimmed over a little bit of it, I'm actually working at the moment so I don't have a whole lot of free time to look at it, but it sounds like Neuro Linguistic Programming, which I've worked with in the past as just a self help technique.

Is NLP involved in it?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Is NLP involved in it?
No, it is a far more direct approach, and doesn't waste any time getting to the problem at hand. Since it was drawn together from the experiences of thousands of self-recovered people over 15 years or so, it is essentially street-wise recovery. If you prefer proper terminology, it could be called a phenomenological method.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sounds like you need to work on your inner feelings. you may have pent up anger deep down that needs bringing to the surface.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leenliz View Post
Sounds like you need to work on your inner feelings. you may have pent up anger deep down that needs bringing to the surface.

I have many pent up feelings, but I wouldn't say any more than the normal person. How did you get that information from what I've been posting?