Notices

Hello everyone! I am new here.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hello everyone! I am new here.

However, I have been on here a few years ago but never stuck with it. Today is my third day of sobriety. About the hardest thing for me so far is that I often wonder what I did to have fun before I started drinking since I have been doing it for so long. I often get bored and watch a lot of TV now rather than going out and watching a live band in a biker bar, sitting on a patio and having beer and appetizers and going to the lake and drinking a bunch of beer in the summertime. This is basically all that I have been used to so I have not attempted to do any of it yet. I do not feel as if I am ready or am afraid that I may not have fun doing these things anymore since I am not used to doing any of them without alcohol. Most of them go hand in hand when it comes to what I was doing and the people who I hung out with.

I am starting to get kind of depressed now and things do not seem as fun as they used to. Perhaps I am just not used to doing anything without alcohol. Does anyone know how long that it takes for these feeling to start subsiding? Three days is not a very long time but it is a good start. Especially for being able for me to do it alone. It started when I had just turned 44 a few months ago. I feel like it had all finally caught up with me. My body and everything started changing. It was weird! I then knew what I had to do. I have taken it one day at a time and I am very proud of myself. It actually took me until today to start feeling half way real and normal again other than the symptoms at the beginning of this long post which I do apologize for.

It does help to get it out and to have people out there going through what I am going through. Let's just hope that I can stay on the correct track and keep going. I do not want to wake up anymore late, feeling tired, seeing everyone else out going to breakfast and and doing things and actually having a good time without alcohol. Anyhow, I am single and I do not have children/kids which is good. I have pretty much been solo since 2009. None of my ex's had drinking problems. They were always the types who could have one or two drinks here and there and quit and care less rather they had ever had another again. I could never see how they did it and envied them for it.

Well, If you actually read all of this. Thank you and it is nice to have you all here for support. This is just me in a nutshell too, unfortunately. Here's to better times. Good luck to all of you too. I cannot wait to read up on some of the threads and information on here.

SH5
Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome SummertimeHigh5

Congrats on three days

If you drank like I did though, you drank for *years* - it's gonna take a little while to get used to not drinking

I had to learn how to live sober, how to feel feelings sober, how to interact with people sober, how to be *me* sober....

all that can't happen over night - it takes time...but you're not alone here and you'll find a lot of support

D
Old 03-28-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

3 days nothing is going to change in such a short time, nearly 80 days here and i am sill getting difficult periods of dealing with emotions , drinking is not an option for me ever again but this is also very liberating for me too. Social occasions , i have been on a few the last couuple of months and found once there I enjoyed them very
Much without alcohol, in fact I kind of felt empowered and cool. Still have cravings and drink related romantic thoughts but I am now finding it easier to deal with these thoughts , but all in all the way I feel now, calmer clearheaded and really in the zone , also I am noticing improvements in how I feel and think every day its like my mind is being awoken from a very long dark bleak period, stick with it, early days are tough but it is so so worth it.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome back!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SH5, are you going to AA meetings?

Bob