Notices

I want to stop drinking. Please help...

Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi there....i posted this about a documentary i saw on addiction. The times when I was drinking nothing else felt pleasurable either but the booze. This explains it somewhat. All the best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...i-learned.html

I got an addiction therapist and have been to a handful of AA meetings and read on SR everyday. Only the first month was hard for me....its easy mostly now
Old 03-23-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I think this is true...But in my case I saw my doctor and told him of my anxiety and depression... I was riddled with them both...And he quickly put me on some form of generic Xanax...Small amount...But more than I wanted...I stopped taking them...I'd been to shrinks before...That didn't do me much good...I knew I was an alkie for a long time...People I loved told me to stop and I didn't listen to them...Why would I listen to a stranger? So when I did finally stop drinking as months went by....I realised how many problems in my life were directly connected to alcohol...Including depression and anxiety....At nine months without a drink and having worked the program of AA....I can say I have no more depression or anxiety than any other non-alcoholic human being...I take no drugs....And I'm happy and enjoying life. So I have to wonder...What is better?...Taking alcohol out of your life and seeing if that caused the depression/anxiety?....Or being put on meds and then taking alcohol out of the picture? I know some people need meds to maintain living a comfortable life and I think it is wonderful that is possible...I'm speaking of my history...I'm just wondering if I should have checked the egg for the problem...before I checked the chicken?
i can 2nd that, even though my history is slightly different, the chicken definetly came before the egg for me, i was on all sorts of meds for mental health issues (ptsd/anxiety/severe depression) way before i became alcoholic, infact i never used to touch a drop for most of my life, hated the stuff! though when i did start to drink, i did it to change the way i feel, and with that logic it quickly became a crutch, n before i knew it i was alcoholic.. then alcohol dependent...and things got a 100 times worse from there, especially the mental health issues, they multiplied, and i knew the drink was making it worse but still i didnt stop (thats drink fueled insanity forya) then when id had enough and lost everything, reduced from a once proud man to being beaten broken stinking and homeless, then i found aa, and when i started working that program, a light came on inside, and it got brighter and brighter and i came alive again! and i started turned my life around for the better, but ya know what i am most grateful for is the fact that not only did aa help me to stop drinking and stay stopped, the tools of aa also helped to rid me of the mental issues, in short...it freed me from the bondage of SELF! and taught me to live on a spiritual basis, and that totally blew me away! i thought id be on meds for the rest of my life, but now im completly T total straight edge, no meds no drink no drugs no CRUTCH! and i cant put into words how liberating that feels! so there ya have it folks, not only will working an aa program help you quit drinking, it will improve your mental health massively! if you want it and work it that is! have a great day , 2times
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That's awesome J2T...