Notices

Newcomer to site, struggling along

Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

A Sabbath cover band?! Oh!!! Do you want to be my new best friend?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

of course! long live Sabbath
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Zee

Thought this was quite funny! ‘Trust Me, I’m Dr. Ozzy’: Ozzy Osbourne Answers Readers’ Questions - The Daily Beast
Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hahha that's hilarious
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey, Old Rocker. Well, you've already received great advice. No doubt alcohol is a big part of how you are defined in your own mind and the minds of others. Equally certain is the fact that you can redefine yourself. Some may miss the old madman—but it's unlikely those people ever saw you as a fully formed person. They just saw a one-dimensional character. You deserve better than that. Many others, people who really know you and care about you, will feel differently. And as for you, well, my guess is you will really like the guy you rediscover. You may not be the life of the party anymore... but when you were 20, did you really want to be the life of the party your whole life? Now's the chance to redefine yourself, decide who you want to be, instead of trying to be who you were. That's pretty badass, if you ask me. Zebra's example of Clapton is a good one, I think. He's a lot mellower, but he's also never been cooler, eyeglasses, sport coat and all.

As for music—oh, wow, do I understand that. I live for music. I was really worried I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Well, I've got good news for you. Yes, I had to avoid concerts for a while, and even avoided certain albums that reminded me too much of drinking. But today music is back in my life, bigger and better than ever. I've hit more live shows in the past six months than I saw in the past six years. A couple of weeks ago I drove 240 miles round trip by myself to see a show in LA—you can't do that while drinking. I was in the front row, even got a wave and a thumbs-up sign from one of the guys in the band (Jim James of My Morning Jacket, if you're familiar with the alt rock scene). I scored the front-row spot because they don't allow alcohol on the club's main floor. While everyone else got drinks, I got the best view in the house!

It isn't easy to quit, but it most definitely rocks.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

OR, as an even older rocker,

work on your recovery first,

and with time you will be able to rock again.

and the music will take on new meanings,

hey, you may even start liking Top 40! lol

58 years old, and still twirling the sticks
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

thanks for the advice all Day 13 today, feeling more clarity and "cleaner" with every day. The fatigue is still there but it's not the sort of draining fatigue I felt yesterday. Going to watch a film with my wife tonight, purposefully not taking enough money to be able to buy drinks when the inevitable urge arises.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

In "The Artists Way" Julia Cameron walks us thru the myths surrounding being an artist. I could not believe how many self destructive habits i had bought into .... including that somehow i was "better" when i was loaded.

Go to enough meetings around the country and chances are, like I have, you will encounter world class musicians, actors, writers with long term recovery.

In recovery i have written a novel, written songs that local folk find ...hmmm 'excellent', finished building a home that is a piece of sculpture... but more importantly, i find that my life- with all its myriad nuances of relationships, has taken on a feeling of Art as Integrity.

and yeah- the national conventions - either -AA or NA -can feature major kick ass jam bands
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you found us OR!

I'm an OA (Old Artist, haha).... one of 100 justifications I gave myself for drinking. It definitely takes some time to get used to being sober and it pays to keep things simple/easy for a while. Eventually, though, you'll grow into a new and better version of the "Madman".... one you can really feel good about!

Welcome to a great place!