Notices

It must be so hard in the U.S.A...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's only a problem if you believe the Detox/Rehab industry offers people any effective solution for the money paid. Drying out at the Hilton for a month is both cheaper and as effective, plus they make your bed up and put a chocolate on your pillow.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jv369 View Post
... i would not downplay how much a good recovery center can help one along the way.

the one that i went to was a non-profit organization, everyone employed there was a recovered addict....
Yes, good point. I do agree with you on the non-profits. Clearly, my own bias about the large for-profit corporations got me on a rant and I failed to make that distinction. Thank you for the reality-nudge

Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
It's only a problem if you believe the Detox/Rehab industry offers people any effective solution for the money paid. Drying out at the Hilton for a month is both cheaper and as effective, plus they make your bed up and put a chocolate on your pillow.
Depends on the place. If your rehab is run like a day spa that's a problem. The place that I went to was relatively cheap (roughly $100/day) and was necessary for me to get sober. In my case rehab saved my life.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

...and FWIW my rehab was NOT covered by my fancy, all the bells-and-whistles insurance plan. I had to drain my savings to pay for rehab. Needless to say, I switched insurance companies this year.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'd rather have the NHS than not have it. But the problem with it is, is there's no incentive to look after yourself as, by and large, the treatment is always there when you need it (although it is generally inferior to private care).

I'm somewhat biased as I pay quite a lot in NI contributions and have probably only spent two minutes with a Doctor in the past ten years (and he gave me a tube of steroid cream as a prescription that I could have got over-the-counter for £4 cheaper) but just as in the US people who are a higher liability pay higher premiums, those who don't look after themselves should pay higher rate of NI. I'm only talking about preventable conditions related to poor lifestyle choices (exercise, diet, drinking, smoking, drug abuse, STDs). Everything else should be free to all. It will never happen though.

From my limited knowledge, if you're going to be ill, Germany, Canada or Cuba are the places to be.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I thought the NHS were fantastic with my cocaine addiction and offering me a day-time care programme. Without their help I would not be 6 months clean and living a normal life again.

I am very thankful that the NHS was there to help me in my hour of need - there was no way I would have been ablel to pay for medicine, treatement programme, blood tests etc.

Luckly I am working again and have no problem in re-paying my debt to the NHS.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

This is a very interesting thread, given that there are so many of us from USA and across the pond. Also of note is that we come from all stages of life and socio/economic status.

I'm in the USA and my insurance is mostly paid by my firm. It's very good. Although, for mental health (counseling) they only provide 20 some sessions per year. And I still pay a co-pay of $15 for each visit. They pay a portion of rehab, but it's low considering the overall cost, something like 20%.

And I consider myself lucky with those benefits. I remember the days when I worked for a sole practitioner lawyer who gave me no benefits. I could go to the city hospital but the care was subpar, and just seeing a doc meant I had to sit in a waiting room all day.

There are many out there who's employers don't provide any insurance, and then we have the self-employed and unemployed who are really screwed out of insurance. So yeah, if you find yourself in an addiction mess you are really up a creek financially.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have known a few people with cancer and one with diabetes who moved from the US to Canada for the healthcare. I know one person with cancer who moved to France.

Maybe addicts need to be moving too.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Health Insurance is a joke here. I cant go to a rehab facility bc of it and i cant go to the psychaitrist to get the meds im suppose to take bc of it. The state will not help me out with anything.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This is why I kind of scratch my head at how loosely the term "go to the er" is used on SR. If you're having serious dt's OK but for general nasty detox symptoms a 100$ family doc visit will do. Down here in Texas a trip to the er and the tests they run plus meds will cost as much as a nice Harley Davidson.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Where I live, it takes a few weeks to get a doctor's appointment. When you need care right away, ER or Urgent Care facilities are pretty much it.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I agree. Love that Australia is free. I see an addiction therapist absolutely free and can see her as often as i want all thanx to Medicare (our goverment system).

I also think it must be hard for Americans having to walk past booze in the grocery store and gas stations (no wonder there is a drink driving problem). Australia only sells booze in bottle shops and they are only open from 10am to 5pm some places 10pm. Limits it a little i guess. Id hate to see beer everywhere i went while i am in recovery.