Notices

need to know it gets better

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need to know it gets better

I haven't been drinking, but my back up plan for the last 15 years has been that if things get "that bad" I can always end my life. To be clear, I don't feel suicidal right now, but I'm sort of shocked to realize that my "back up plan" is still very much a part of my mentality. It gives me comfort, as sad as that may seem. I just feel so low right now... so hopeless. I know tomorrow I'll probably wake up feeling good, as I do so many days now. But right now I just feel like I've messed everything up for good. My marriage, my son, my own life... it all seems like too much. Not sure what response I want from this...just felt the need to get it out. Sorry to bring you all down.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you in therapy or have you thought of trying it?

It has really made a difference for me.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I've been in therapy for awhile now. Although, to be fair, I have a VERY hard time being honest with my therapist (and myself!) I tend to downplay things because I can't imagine that anyone is interested in me or my problems. (which is a problem in and of itself!)
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was suicidal for a while in my 20s. Very few days go past without me realising what I would have missed had I made different decisions back then.

Instead I got some help.

I know you're not in danger...but I just wanted to add I know it's hard but please don't just judge your future by how you feel right now.

Things can and do change

D
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Therapy is only as good as your therapist. you really have to form a relationship with your therapist to reap the benefits. if you dont trust them - you won't let them help you.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

I like what Dee said.....don't judge your future by how you feel now; things can and do change.

Don't give up!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Therapy is great.......but it's not necessarily a solution to alcoholism. Maybe it's time to incorporate recovery from alcoholism into your routine? AA is chock full of folks who've recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body and they're usually more than excited to share what worked for them with you.........
Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My therapist is a good one and is one who specializes in addiction. The problem lies with me... I find it hard to open up. Even on SR (which I love!) I find myself not posting things I want to because I feel like nobody would want to hear it. The problem is ME...and possibly a fear of rejection?

Thank you, Dee, for your words. I always take something away from what you post, whether it's on my thread or someone elses. And I'm trying to take that "leap of faith" you posted to me about earlier. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to give up but then I thought about that. I'm still trying to do that. I know that how I'm feeling right now doesn't reflect the future, but it's so hard when it's this painful. Sometimes I just want to disappear.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Saphira,

what you wrote made me think about how much we allow ourselves. "to open up" . I think that you writing about how you are feeling is a beginning to that process.

You have the luxury of a therapist, someone whose vocation is to listen and guide that person. Take full advantage of that.

CaiHong
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never forget how many people you have in your corner here Saphira

D
Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Hi Saphira,

what you wrote made me think about how much we allow ourselves. "to open up" . I think that you writing about how you are feeling is a beginning to that process.

You have the luxury of a therapist, someone whose vocation is to listen and guide that person. Take full advantage of that.

CaiHong
I think that's part of the problem... I've never been comfortable talking to someone who is paid to listen to me. I always imagine that they are thinking about their own lives...lunch...who knows. There is no real investment there. Not an excuse...just part of the hurdle that I have to jump when it comes to therapists... it makes me uncomfortable. Something to work on.

Dee... I have no words. You make me feel more loved than all the "real" people in my life. Saying thank you is so insufficient, but "thank you".
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My husband just told me what he really thinks of me. Didn't think I could go lower but right now I'm feeling like the scum of the Earth. WTF? Usually it's awesome being sober but right now it kind of sucks. Usually I would numb all of this out.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a couple of those conversations too...it hurt.

It took a little time, but I got my reputation and peoples trust and good will in me back.

Back to that faith thing Saphira....have faith that, if you do the right thing, things will turn out....

hang in there

D
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going on what Dee said -- There's a lot of people here who understand exactly how you feel. Nobody here is paid to listen to you. We're here because we are all linked by the same struggle We are always here to listen if you feel it might be time to start opening up. You're among friends... people who understand and truly care about you.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Therapy is great.......but it's not necessarily a solution to alcoholism. Maybe it's time to incorporate recovery from alcoholism into your routine? AA is chock full of folks who've recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body and they're usually more than excited to share what worked for them with you.........
I felt exactly how this lady feels....I didn't have a therapist...I couldn't afford one.....My family had given up on me. I didn't have friends...I had people I drank with...They were as bad as I was.. I couldn't even stand myself. I had given up on myself. I thought about ending it....I knew I couldn't do it...That I had to be worth something. I just couldn't beat this thing...It had it's claws in me so bad....And I knew it was killing me too...I couldn't stop and there was no way I could picture living without alcohol.
saphira...You mention getting honest with yourself...I think that was my biggest problem...I lied about my drinking problem to everyone and it just kept making it worse. I was beaten and I knew I had to try something. I prayed...I asked God for help...And I wasn't a praying man.....I had just run out of options. I ended up in a rehab because I knew I couldn't detox safely and so did everyone else....I was introduced to AA there...Some lady saw the desperation in my face and asked if I wanted to go to a meeting with her. I had nothing left to lose. I went...I listened...I saw people like me...Getting better...For the first time in a very long time...I felt hope. It's an amazing feeling...If you don't have any. I continued to go and when I was leaving rehab this lady that worked there said.."Go to this meeting...It's near where you live." And I did....And I felt like I was at home....The more I went...The more I liked these people...The more I liked myself. The more hope I got. I had to have courage and I had to get brutally honest with myself....Not easy for a lying drunken coward...I don't know how...I found the courage somewhere...I have an idea where...A real good idea.
I had my last drink 8 months ago yesterday...My life has completely changed...I feel good about myself and I care about others...I do the right thing and I'm honest with people.....I love life....And I couldn't have done it without AA, those 12 steps and asking what I call God...For help.....You probably think this sounds like some kind of miracle saphira.....I can only tell you that it is...And you can have it too...If you want it.
So to answer your question...You need to know it gets better?...It can...All you have to do is ask for help...My prayers are with you saphira...You can do this too. Life is amazing without alcohol...And you can have that.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, it definitely gets better. and then it doesn't change and then it gets better and then it gets worse. I'm BP and have been suicidal since I was 16. I've lived with severe depression while on meds. I have learned alot about my diseases: alcohol, drug addition, ADD and manic depression. I know when I feel down, I have to get out and see a friend, or work on a hobby or take a walk AND ESPECIALLY GO TO A MEETING! That;s what really does the trick. I may still be down, but I've come up a notch on the ladder!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you've found something that that works for you - welcome to SR weebee

D
Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. Woke up sober and feeling a bit better about things. I appreciate all the kind words. Have a great Sunday!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling better. Seems you need more relief than you've been getting, and I'd hate to think the next time this happens you might take your other option.

More help or better help is indicated. You've been sober a few months and without booze and zero effective answer to how to do life sober these feelings are common among alcoholics, and unfortunately some act on them thinking their other options are nil.

A little cheap relief here on a spot basis isn't likely to be good enough. You may not have to get drunk again if you secure more help for yourself.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

therapy only works when I'm honest. and I needed more than just therapy to solve my drug problem.