Notices

What is everyone's experience of exercise?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is everyone's experience of exercise?

Hi

I used to use the gym 4 times a week when I was in my 20s and early 30s. Now late 30s and stopped going about 3 years ago plus started drinking more. 3 Jan was my first day sober and I feel better than I have in years. (I had a minor relapse in 2 glasses of wine 2 weeks ago but apart from that haven't had anything). I've lost 18 pounds which was much needed weight loss.

I just feel that I need to do something else now as well to mentally feel better and physically tone up. Today is my first day of going back to the gym and I'm really looking forward to it!! I just wondered what others experience of exercise is since stopping drinking. Do you notice a big difference? Does it make you feel mentally better and less likely to want to drink? Thank you.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My experience is similar. Im 33, and used to go to gym 4-5 times a week in early 20s, and played sports etc. Drinking ramped up and exercising became a distant memory. I probably put on 125 lbs since college. Scary, when I think of it.

Im on day 24 now, I do a very "brisk" 2.1mile walk every day. I started with just over 1 mile, and added a little each day since quit drinking. Feel like its made a HUUUUGE difference. Its helped with my anxiety, and has my whole body feeling better. Keeps my mind on track as I need to buget my time more to fit in a 45 minute walk each day. Pricing out gyms and hope to join soon!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

I started exercising regularly before I stopped finally (approx two months before) but I do find that I am in a better position to exercise. I swam a lot before, and that helped heal my body after a drink (rehydration works wonders) but that really was all I got out of it. Now I can do serious (for me) workouts on the bike, or good hikes. After all outdoor exercise is much better than being stuck in a gym watching endless MTV videos (its worse for us in the UK , we have to watch the Virgin channels in Virgin gyms.)

Last edited by BillyPilgrim; 02-22-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am very involved in endurance cycling & running, and it has saved my mind. And my body, My emotions & my mental state.

Oh, and increased my spirituality too. AND lost over 40 lbs. 7 years ago when I got active again.

Great post, great topic! Keep it up!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was an athlete in my teens, excersise junky in my 20's and loved to run right up to about 20 weeks preggo. When my drinking escalated a year ago I rarely exercised at all. I'm on day 23 and have been trying to reintroduce it. On the days that I manage I feel AMAZING! Cravings are a lot less! The thing is I'm so newly sober that I'm dealing with severe moodiness, iritibility and exhaustion a lot of the time so I really struggle to get motivated. I'm hoping tiredness will pass soon as I want my excersise passion reignited. Have a great time at the gym! Take it a little easy tho as my first hard session knocked me out for 2 days! I was a little over eager
Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Exercise is the cornerstone to my sobriety. I hit the gym 5 days a week.
There is a thread here at SR for people that use exercise as a main part of their program.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html
Feel free to join us. There is one poster there that has 20 years sobriety so if it helps him it must be a good supplement to any program.
Hope to see you over there.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My business is EXTREMELY physical. Up and down ladders, moving heavy materials, while doing demolition can be very physical to the point of exhaustion. When I told my doctor what I did for a living a few years back, he told me, finish your day, go home, and rest.

You EXERCISED!!!!! LOL

But then again, in my thirties, I still had this business, AND weightlifted three times per week. A serious injury ended that.

I do find, when I commit to working out, I become focused on my progress, eat well, and would rather not drink.

After I got hurt, around twenty years ago, I began drinking, mostly out of boredom.

Never returned to regular exercise.

After my girlfriends heart issues are resolved, we plan on walking.

BTW, she is also beginning recovery. 45 day program, then possible heart surgery.

Addiction ain't kind....no sir, not at all......

Rex
Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

exercise is imperative. I had completely let myself go in my addiction and got clean as a 260 pound cigarette smoker. I started exercising immediately and quit smoking at 6 months. I go to the gym five times a week and stay at a healthy 175 pounds now.

exercise is critical for my feelings of physical wellness, energy, and equally important sense of self esteem and confidence
Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for responding and for your positive experiences. I'm just back from the gym and feel fantastic. Considering I've not been for ages it wasn't as hard as I though which I put down to being sober and generally more healthy than I have in years. I did 45 mins cardio, stepper and x trainer then 15 mins machines for legs and tummy. Then 30 mins in steam which was bliss and felt like a reward for gym work!

It is so true that you feel mentally better as well as physically better from exercise. I remember how good it used to make me feel, although it was usually with a hangover or to counteract the wine calories rather than to be healthy.

I hope to go 3-4 times a week, childcare permitting!!

Thanks again. 3 cheers for being sober and healthy!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Exercising is really critical for me in staying sober, as well. Without the energy release I think I’d drive myself a little mad. It also a positive place to go on my own (the gym or outside) if I’m getting bored or restless.

A bit off the topic bit I also picked up smoking over the past couple of years and want to cut that out as soon as I feel that it won’t be too much, coupled with cutting out the drink. It a true love-hate relationship. Every morning when I wake up I think that I have to quit, I can feel what it does to my lungs and overall health. I actually do quit for days at a time, but being around anyone else who is smoking or feeling stressed out are MAJOR triggers for it. Hopefully I’ll be able to do it soon enough, I feel that it is the only thing holding me down from feeling really good & healthy.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Remember to warm up first! Congratulations on 2 weeks of sobriety!!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

part of "recovery-ing" for me was to recover the things i had allowed to take a waaay back seat to using- skiing, whitewater boating, backpacking, even rock climbing- i regained them all even tho i was by then, in my mid 40's.

part of believing i could love myself was to demonstrate care for myself.. 16 years later it is still a significant part of my life- i still lift weights and bicycle nearly every other day... still get out and do framing carpentry when those jobs come up...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I must agree with everyone, the gym def helps so much, gets that anger outa me, helps me sleep better and as u say feel great afterwards, good luck and keep it up
Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started to go out for walks after supper because that was the most difficult time for me, and it helped me on so many levels. I started to take time to look at what was going on in my neighborhood around me. Physically of course, I felt better. And, it gave me time away from distractions at home, to just be by myself. A lot of times my husband would come with me and it became a great bonding time.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Exercise is my new DOC!!!

Love the endorphine rush from pushing my limits, which is easy right now since I am so out of shape..but not for long....Music while working out is key.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Remember to warm up first! Congratulations on 2 weeks of sobriety!!
and cool down