Notices

4 Months Clean and Starting a New Job

Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool 4 Months Clean and Starting a New Job

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I just started a new job that has been very demanding. I am used to going 6 meetings a week, but I haven't been to one since I started my job. I was looking around on google for things to help me stay motivated with my recovery and i stumbled onto this page.

I am so thankful for the job. I haven't been employed in 6 months and my folks have been paying for my tuition at the sober house I live at along with my good and clothing, etc.

I got a job at a fine dining place and I realized I know nothing about food. I had to not only learn the menu, but i had to memorize every single ingredient in every single dish, then take a test every day before my training shift. the training guy said it was 2 weeks worth of stuff put into 6 days and boy he wasn't kidding. I work all day then I come home and make flash cards to study the ingredients. I haven't had any time for anything else. I don't even have time to do my chore at my recovery home.

I finally finished the 6 days tho and passed all of the tests, but now I have a 12 page final I have to take tomorrow and I must get a 95% on it to finish my training. I haven't hit a a meeting in over a week and I'm just burnt out. IU pray a lot which I seem to do when I'm in desperation mode. (one of my many character defects...I know I need to pray all the time.)

Typing this out is making me feel better. I'm not gonna lie. I've felt like using. Not like huge thoughts of it, but I'm an addict so when im done with a long day of work of course it crosses my mind. I don't think I've ever put in a long day of work and not gotten f**ked up after it until now. I Have many things that don't make me want to use, but the number one thing I think about is the fact that it would show that I was weak. That this job was too much for me and that I cracked under the pressure. A lot of people in my network have been asking me if they think it is too much for me to handle? and that they don't want me to lose sight of my recovery. This training week was hell. It is for one of the most prominent steak house's in Chicago and they don't mess around they want you to know everything within the snap of a finger. I have worked so hard for everything I've gotten back in the last 130-somthin days and I don't want to lose it. If I can just keep my recovery in the forefront of my mind and have this job the possibilities are endless for me.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We both need to figure out what makes us happy after a long day of work. I am one of those, "I deserve it" types. I work all day and I deserve a drink. But that's obviously a lie. I wonder what "deserve" means. Perhaps a hot bath after work. I know that I'm better off if I get home and put on slippers and pajamas.

Then maybe I can stay there...something I'm trying to learn.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR jimmybones! Congratulations on 130 days. Sounds like your working very hard to get your life back. Good for you!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

um, replace those using thoughts and the time you'd take to use to do your chore.

Call someone from your meetings...call your sponsor and work your steps. YOu have a sponsor, right? You've worked the steps, right? In 6 months, you must have learned that the solution is in the steps so you can "practice these principles in ALL your affairs" (I mean living LIFE). A long time ago there was only 1 meeting a week. You have employment, don't mess that up now!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

can only echo Sugarb. I had to get that sponsor contact going. Had to remember to integrate recovery in all parts of life. Had to get creative - noon meetings, SR, journaling/step work at break time, even small chances to "carry the message" on my jobsites...
Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh yeah= Big Time Congrats on doing the job thing!!! Just one more gift as a result of recovery....
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome jimmybones and congrats on 4 months!!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As a chef, JB, my front of house staff is so important. Just reading your post, I can FEEL your desire to succeed and I would be honored to have you work on my team. YOU make those of us behind the scenes successful. Keep up your sobriety, relax and recall what you have learned thus far. Don't let the test make you overly anxious - you've already passed the first one with flying colors - this will be a recap with a few new things tossed in. You can do this. And think of the end result - pockets full of tips from being an amazing, educated server. Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Jimmy. SR will be one of your best stumbles in life

Like Blondechef, I too can hear your desire. We're all here to support you. Post anytime...always someone here. Never mind that "you can do this"......YOU ARE DOING IT!!!