Hiding alcohol.....

Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Gleebitz

D
Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by langkah
Easy enough to kiester a bag of dope when going in to do a little time, but a quart of JD?
hahaaaaaaa a little warning please, langkah, my mind creates visuals and now I can't shake that one LOL
Old 02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
That's another thing....Two Beers.....First words that come out of a slurring drunken alcoholic. Guilty as charged.
Oh Lord, that just made me laugh and cringe in equal measure. I cannot count how many times I would walk into a family event or even just come home to my partner absolutely trashed and insist I just had two glasses of wine. My neice does a killer impression of me acting sober.

I never hid booze in the house but acted like I needed to be out for every lunch and dinner. And proceeded to come home drunk and carry on - since, you know, I was "in trouble" anyway. I continue to be suprised my loved ones didn't .
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I live alone so I never had to hide it but tried when certain "non drinking" friends came over. One in recovery (who hadn't said ANYTHING to me about my drinking even though she knew it had become excessive), came over one night and asked me where my stash was. I was sober when she asked me by the way. Talk about feeling embarassed...why I thought I could hide it esp from someone in recovery is beyond me..
Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I live alone too so I don't have to hide it. But what's telling is that non-alcoholics are proud of their stash. They show it off. "This is wine from blah blah, this scotch is single blah blah" while we hide our stash lol

Of course, our stash is gone is a considerable shorter time but still...makes ya think
Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JayAngel View Post
I live alone too so I don't have to hide it. But what's telling is that non-alcoholics are proud of their stash. They show it off. "This is wine from blah blah, this scotch is single blah blah" while we hide our stash lol

Of course, our stash is gone is a considerable shorter time but still...makes ya think
I know....hell I didn't even bother putting it in the refrigerator.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, the hiding is a serious sign of a problem. I got quite good at it. As I am the one who does most of the cooking, my go to spot was stashing liquor mini's in pots, pans, in oven mitts, you name it.

Stashed beer in the bathroom for awhile until I got caught. The shame of getting caught sneaking drinks in your own house as a grown man is a pretty rotten feeling. Feels good not to do that any longer, haha.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I hate mouthwash. My wife even more and never touches the stuff. I would buy small bottles of mouthwash and empty them. Then refill them in my office with vodka that had been tainted with blue food coloring. Always had three or four in my gym bag for "emergencies"..... And I thought I was very clever..... Just insane.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

After six months, I'm still finding hidden empties around the house. I had it easy though -- my wife is terrified of spiders, so any dark, out-of-the-way place made for a good stashing spot. There was also one time where our oven died and it took a couple of months for us to get a replacement -- you can hide a lot in an oven. I still can't understand the mentality behind rotating liquor stores (I even had a pretty good idea of each clerk's schedule at each package store) -- it made perfect sense at the time but I'm baffled by my behavior now. Also, the list of parking lots that were relatively "safe" to go to and have a drink while on lunch or break from work without having to worry too much about cops -- sometimes, I'd call in sick to work and spend the entire day in grocery store parking lots or parks and then go home and pretend that I'd been at work all day. Then there was hiding vodka in a mountain dew bottle. I could have a bottle of that sitting on my desk at work or at home....it's demented how sneaky a person I was, although I have to admit, it's always kinda reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

--Fenris.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

classic...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

:rotfxko
I have not had the best day so coming across this thread is great. I laughed until I cried.
I did so many of these things or variations of them.
I keep wondering when were going to quit finding bottles.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

It's pretty amazing isn't it? You know he got me thinking about the clerks in the stores...I thought about it...I not only rotated stores...But the clerks too....He got me thinking...Man...I was one sick puppy.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

When I first read this thread a few days ago, I felt ashamed & bad for all the hiding I did. But now I see the comedy/ tragedy in it.
My worst hide was pouring vodka into an empty hair spray bottle.
Disgusting. At least I don't have to do that anymore.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Figured I bump this....Lot of newcomers here....Maybe they can add something to it.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Zee

Thanks for bumping Sapling! I have done all of the above!
I also started doing on-line grocery shopping at Tescos. Somehow or other, my husband had my email account open on his computer, so he had free-reign on my emails for a while. Well, one day I made an order as I had been paid... along with the bread, dog food/cat food etc etc I had ordered 5 x 1.5 litres of vodka (you know, just so I didn't have to go out and get any for a while!) Knowing it would be delivered when he was at work, so I could do my little hiding tricks with my booty!
Well, they send you an email to confirm the order (which also lists it).... and the rest is history!!!!!! What a stupid delusional, denial, thick, sick, dumb butt was I huh!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I figured it would ring a few bells.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good bump timing for me Sapling.

Pulled out one of my suitcases last week (from the garage) for a 4 day getaway, and low and behold there was an empty bottle of wine. I was even hesitant to put it in my recycle bin as my neighbors have been an amazing support to me in the past.

I felt like putting a note on it saying "this is from ages ago" just in case they saw it. Lol

Anyway, we had really high winds that night and when I came out in the morning, there were a few diet coke cans on the lawn but the bin itself was gone. Blown away.

I'm taking it as a sign from the universe that, that is the LAST hidden bottle.

So glad those days are over. Absolute insanity.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

That's awesome...If that's not a sign...What is?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I've been more of a behavioral hider. I never physically hid alcohol around the house. But I did learn that if my H saw a mostly-empty bottle of wine that he knew I had just opened that day, he would express concern. So instead, I would drink only two or three glasses of the wine, then have some beer from the keg in the basement (we have a kegerator), then maybe a bottle or two of beer, then maybe a drink from the bar... Etc etc. By spreading it out in this way, nothing gets empty too fast, so there was nothing for him to notice. The amount and variety of alcohol in our house on a regular basis made this super easy to do.

I realized that he never really took that much notice if I was having 5 or 6 drinks a night, as long as there was no visual evidence. He's told me repeatedly that he thinks I don't have a drinking problem, but I don't agree. I guess I've hidden it too well.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I hid alcohol all the time and found the most ingenious places. One my husband or roommate found one place i'd simply fine another, more cleaver one. I even outsmarted myself and kepy finding "fallen soldiers" for a few weeks after i sobered up. I found another one just a couple of days ago. It's sad but it's a reminder of how insidious this disease is.