Notices

I got a sponsor tonight

Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I got a sponsor tonight

Today I took some pills on my way to work and ended up getting sick at work due to them and having to leave. I went to a meeting tonight and sat down next to a woman who has been in the program since 1987- I see her at every meeting I've gone to. I turned to her and started crying. I told her I needed help and could she help me. I proceded to cry throughout the entire meeting and her and I talked after. She is much older than I am, but we have a lot in common. Turns out we are both Jewish, both had eating disorders, etc. She wants me to call her every day, and she said this is a trial sponsorship for one month to see if we are a fit for each other, and if not we part ways, but that I MUST have a new sponsor in place before I leave her. I think I finally got to step one.

Ann
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Ann ....I'm so glad to hear that. Sounds like you might have found a good one. Give it all you got and enjoy your journey!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you are working hard on your recovery.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

good for you ann, i am still looking for a sponsor myself
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ann! That was so brave to reach out for help. I am glad that nice lady was sitting next to you, i am thankful for her. I hope your relationship with your new sponsor helps your recovery as much as possible. Take good care of yourself! xoxo
Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a great step forward aeo

D
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you sat next to the right person, I'm glad you're getting the help you need. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I had planned on talking to this woman tonight. She is one that stands out in the meetings because she is always there (an oldtimer I guess) and I enjoy when she speaks. She was actually chatting with a woman behind me and just turned to say "hi" to me and I started blubbering. It is a good feeling to be able to cry in a room full of people for an hour and know that it is ok and no one is judging you. How often in life can you cry in public?? It is a freeing feeling.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
It is a good feeling to be able to cry in a room full of people for an hour and know that it is ok and no one is judging you. How often in life can you cry in public?? It is a freeing feeling.
That is pretty cool...They just want to see you get better.
A guy in my meeting this morning said..."The only other place where I have felt so accepted other than an AA meeting...Was when I walked into a bar with a sh!tload of cash...And there it was only till it ran out."

Little advice Ann...Call your sponsor a "longtimer"...They like that better than oldtimer....I don't know why.....When I get those kind of years....God willing... They can call me anything they want.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Bravo. This woman came into your life for a reason. Let her help you on your way.

I love AA. Nowhere have I been able to go where I could share how I felt ... tears and all ... and had people completely understand and support me. Having a sponsor is wonderful because you have that person there for you whenever you need them, and the daily meetings are definitely a great source of information as well as accountability.

Feeling very hopeful for you!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ann.... Welcome !!
Bob R
Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you...your temp sponser sounds like a keeper.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ann, your post made my night! I am so happy for you. I know you have been struggling with this a lot. I did too. This is great news!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Way to go, Ann. What a terrific post. You sound hopeful. Healthy and hopeful. That's really good to hear.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ann I am so happy for you!! Great first step!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

From your post, it seems like your in a very emotional place in your life. Just remember keep your guard up and don't like anyone take advance of you. If you feel like you can't relate or feel uncomfortable with this sponsor then there is no shame to find someone else. Never take medical advice from a sponsor because they are not a doctor. Good luck and life does get better. Just keep your head up high.