Notices

How to stay with it?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How to stay with it?

I've never been a one or two drink kind of girl, and although I never had a problem with daily drinking, when I do drink, ~1/3 of the times I do regrettable things. I stop drinking for one or two weeks at a time after I have an episode of doing something that upset me or someone else, but once I get to feeling better I always seem to forget how bad it is/was. What I wanted to know is if anyone has any suggestions for staying off alcohol completely. I'm not sure how much I would like AA meetings. I've been to one once before a few years ago for a school assignment. The crowd seemed older and I am rather shy, not a fan of meeting new people in a large group- especially not when sober- ha. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi janiebluebird

SR has been instrumental in me staying off the booze - there's something about a support community that really helped me. I hope you'll find that too

Of course some people find they need other support too.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, included but not only AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Welcome aboard
D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-14-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got to the point where I liked AA meetings better than I like drinking.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I agree, the AA meetings are way better then drinking, I understand meeting a new group of older people might be intimidating but they won't judge you. Just introduce yourself, sit back and listen for a while. Hear what they have to say and maybe one day when you're feeling confident you'll surprise yourself and speak up.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

You drink like I do...weekend binger. How old are you? There are AA young meetings where I live, but the regular meeting have people from 15-85.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

seemed like i could 'maintain' for a while but, like you, i would dissappear into the booze at almost regular intervals. And i would "quit" by switching to a different DOC. Like others here, i did AA - later NA. I guess I just knew that i needed something to 'break the chain" and seeing people with lots of continous sober/clean time gave me the hope .

in my 16th year now. still going to meetings. Now i have tons of hope.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of ways to stay sober, as Dee posted the information for you.

I have found SR to be my lifeline and I love it here.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
You drink like I do...weekend binger. How old are you? There are AA young meetings where I live, but the regular meeting have people from 15-85.
Yes, I am definitely a weekend binger. I'm 27 years old and I feel that I have reached a point where it has got to stop. I am serious about it, which is why I'm reaching out for ideas/support. I am apprehensive about going to a 12 step meeting. I do live outside of NYC, so there are a wide variety of meetings that I could probably find. I would probably opt to go to one closer to myself on Long Island first, though.