Notices

How do I learn to face the world sober?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I learn to face the world sober?

I have been drinking for 20yrs., and I don't know how to stop. Shrinks don't help, AA didn't help for long. I am constantly a nervous wreck. I'm a single mom raising a little boy. But I drank long before he was born. I'm at my wits end, as to what to do. Does going to rehab really work for anybody? I'm completely lost. Thank you.

Dick
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Dickstrong, you stop by quitting drinking. That's it, no more, done, never again, nothing can ever make you take another drink. Then you figure out how you are going to make it happen, because you will make it happen, sooner or later.

I hope it's sooner, and now is the perfect time to make your decision about your future use of alcohol. What is that decision going to be?

Keep posting here, dickstrong.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you researched SMART or AVRT or LifeRing? I work the program of AA, not just attend meetings, I had done that for 25 years and never worked past step 3, so I had no solution other than alcohol. Try a search on those other programs. Something along with the support in this site will help you!!

You can stay stopped, too! Glad you are here and being proactive.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

rehab helped me get clean, but it's not the real world. it's sheltered and safe. the way i learned to face the world sober was by facing the world sober. don't drink no matter what. the 12 steps(not necessarily the meetings) have helped me with this tremendously. but the meetings can be helpful too as i hear a lot of valuable experience on life matters. so far i've never had a situation arise that baffled me that i haven't heard someone share about getting through the exact same thing sober.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your suggestions. I wasn't quite honest with you. The drunk now is my daughter. My parent's were, I was, now my daughter is.

I quit drinking 10yrs. ago, and not because I tried. One day God wouldn't let me swallow beer, or any drink. It would not go down my throat. I couldn't believe that it happened, so I even tried to make it go down. It always stopped and wouldn't go down.

Anyway, he's not doing it for her, and she has been a drunk for 20yrs., but now she has a son. If she doesn't change, he(her son) will be the next drunk in line.

When I drank, I tried shrink's, the hospital etc..... None of it worked because I grew up(and now my daughter) not knowing how to face the ugly, scary world sober.

I thought she might find comfort on this site. She would be able to talk to other people going through the same thing. And hopefully come here, instead of drinking. What do you'll think? Can you help her? Thank you
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dick - Welcome to SR.

I'm sorry for your situation. I know how hard it is to stand by and want to do something.

The thing is...it's your daughter's call. She has to want to stop, she has to want to join up here, and she needs to want to do whatever it takes, whether it's rehab or not.

I hope she does

You might find the Family and Friends forum is also useful to you

D
Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dick, I do hope your daughter finds her way.