Notices

Do the chocolate/sweets cravings ever go?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do the chocolate/sweets cravings ever go?

Hello

I've been sober for one month. I was never one to eat many chocolates or sweets but over the last 3 weeks I've really been craving chocs and cakes. I really don't want to pick up another bad habit. I've lost a stone despite eating these but know I prob won't lose anymore if I continue. Has anyone experienced this and do the cravings reduce? Thank you
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

justhadenough

Your body is craving sugar! The same as mine, because it used to consume so much of it. I eat fruit as much as I can and some sweets during a day.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad i'm not alone! I never really was one for sweet things, now it is chocolate and ice cream every night, i keep telling myself so what though, it's better than making a complete idiot of myself and being nasty to the ones I love :-)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common justhadenough
most of us return to normal after a while

like HF said, fruit can be an excellent alternative to yet another piece of chocolate etc

D
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've learned over the years that too much
of anything is not good. Not good for my
mental, physical, emotional, spiritual well
being. A lesson I learned in recovery was
to find balance in all I do. And that seems
to work out better for me so I can enjoy
my sobriety to the fullest. And I do today.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Give it some time it will even out, at least it did for me, although there was a while where no piece of chocolate was safe if I was nearby. I actually gained about ten pounds when I quit drinking, because started eating again and had to learn how to control that. Keeping fruit and healthy snacks close by is a great idea.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your definitely not alone just. I'm away from alcohol a month also and have cravings for sweet things most days. Saying that i've always loved food of all sorts. When I drank which was usually binging at weekends, chocolate, cakes etc. would be the last thing I would crave. I'm doing quite a bit of exercise, keeping fit but still packing away the grub. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it just, as I said last week in a different thread, I have yet to verbally abuse someone or blackout after eating too many pies
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

I have craved chocolate and all forms of candy since I was 2 and the only time it went away was when I was drinking.
The last time I seriously tried to quit I pigged out on all of it for a good 3 months and gained like 15 pounds.
This time I am quitting sugars at the same time because I don't want to go through quitting that again.
I am not recommending this for everyone just for me.
There is a thread under eating disorders called 100 days OS (obvious sweets) free challenge. I joined last time after the weight gain and I joined this time right from the start ( Jan 1).
There used to be a lot of us on the thread but now only 2 and not too many people ever made the 100 days. so yes it is quite common.
Number one priority of course is to stay sober.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I drank pop and ate chips like it was no one's business my first few weeks sober. My body was still craving all the simple sugars from the beer I drank! I eventually switched to diet pop, and now I mostly drink lower calorie sodas or tea.

BTW, congrats on your 1 month!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sie

I'm terrible at the moment - anything sweet, with chocolate on it, in it, on top of it!

I'm even raiding my daughters sweet box!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

mine did. in early sobriety i was addicted to dark chocolate but now after two years i only eat a 'reasonable' amount of dark chocolate.

do the cravings reduce?

seriously, if it's something that has negative effects on you, then worry would be warranted, but uless you develope an allergy to chocolate and such it'll likely decrease as your sober time increases.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, it gets better! I was grabbing anything - even lollipops - stuff I normally didn't even bother with. After a couple months it all settled down. Well, except for the chocolate.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

my cravings left by 7 months. I didn't get drunk over night.

give time time
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by midgetcop View Post
I drank pop and ate chips like it was no one's business my first few weeks sober. My body was still craving all the simple sugars from the beer I drank! I eventually switched to diet pop, and now I mostly drink lower calorie sodas or tea.

BTW, congrats on your 1 month!
Thanks Midget cop
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for responding. I do have to watch my sugar intake as had gestational diabetes and am teetering on verge of Type 2 diabetes. I always followed a lowish sugar diet although chose to ignore the high levels of sugar in the bottles and bottles of wine I used to drink so was probably putting loads away!!!

I'm finding it amazing that after so many years of abuse of my body I'm really concentrating on what I'm now putting in it. As others have said though, at least I don't blackout or abuse someone or wake up wondering what on earth I said or did last night after a box of chocs!! Fruit is a good idea-I'll stock up today. Thanks again and hope everyone has a good day
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am going thru the same thing and am a day shy of a month. Most nites I do allow myself a chocolate bar though...I figure I am still consuming less calories than I was when drinking a bottle of wine. I am exercising daily too so I that should counteract any weight gain. I think now is the time to be extra kind to ourselves and listen to our bodies. I have read it will level out as people said in this thread. Congrats on one month
Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

it is still present to a small degree, was extreme early on but really settled down a lot after six months
Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah, they go away. I liked gummy bears myself for a while.