Notices

N/A A/A Question

Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

N/A A/A Question

I want to start going to meetings,hearing everyone talk so highly of them made me realize I might be missing out on a big tool in my recovery. I looked up meeting times for NA since I have never had a problem with controlling my drinking but there aren't many close meetings. When I looked up AA, there are endless meetings as close as 5 minutes away every day of the week. Would it be inappropriate if I went to an AA meeting?

I just want support, it doesn't matter to me whether the support is from someone drinks or does drugs. I just don't know if it would be weird if I went. I don't want to say I am an alcoholic when I introduce myself, since I am not. I am making a point to be honest in all aspects of my life now that I am clean, but I don't want to offend anyone either.

I'm just looking for advice since I don't want to make anyone mad at the meeting. I also am afraid I will be stared at and given a "you don't belong here" stare from the group.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The one requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. You can decide for yourself whether you belong there.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help. I am REALLY happy I asked before I just showed up. I actually feel really stupid now for even asking, but I guess I was just focusing on the group support aspect of it.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

xa-speakers.com

listen to some!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

not inappropriate at all
Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA is about helping people. They are not going to turn you away because the substance you struggle with differs from there own. It about recovery and having an outlet. I'm sure they will accept you with open arms.