Notices

Life is better, but why am I still craving?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life is better, but why am I still craving?

Hey everybody. Well like the title insinuates things are going better for me lately. I'm still early in recovery (74 days) but I am beginning to see the positives in sobriety. I wake up feeling refreshed, I am more productive, I've lost weight, I feel more clear-headed, my family is starting to enjoy my company more, things with my girlfriend are great and my court case for my 'super drunk' dui is becoming more favorable (my attorney is fantastic). My question is a silly one; but, why am I still craving? Gotta love this alcoholic roller coaster I am on
Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ksquared, firstly CONGRATS on 74 days, that's impressive, also all the other benefits you list, it seems ridiculous to even think about drinking again in the cold light of day. However those cravings, I'm on day 21 and today I nearly cracked, you are on 74 so you have no option, you have to continue!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Congrats on 74 days! That's awesome!

As to the reason that you're still craving....well, because you're not done with that part of the process yet. You'll get beyond it, trust me, just hang in there!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ksquared - congrats on your progress

In my experience addictions not logical - I drank when I was happy, but also when I was sad, I drank when I was super busy to stave off stress but I also drank when I was bored....

I drank for a lot of conflicting reasons for a lot of years - 74 days is great but it may take a little longer than that to 'retrain your brain'?

Recovery's not always linear either - if it was everyone would get to 30 days or 60 days and never look back....thats obviously not the case.

My own recovery has many high lows, doublebacks, stalls, and cul de sacs - much like life - some days are diamonds, some...aren't y'know?

give it time...keep up your recovery and you will find that one day you won't remember when your last craving was

D
Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ksquared,
this craving is part of the process. I had my last real craving,so far, at around 6 months. The cravings have lessened but the last one was a doozy. I haven't had one since,coming up to 8months sober.
Hang in there you are doing well. yes the sober life is a better one.
take Care
CaiHong
Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

i stopped wanting to drink when i started practicing gratitude. i realized how blessed i was and that showed me how much i would lose if i drank.... and i lost interest in drinking.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At almost at six months, I'm finding the cravings have faded considerably from the first few months.

It was important for me to finally accept without a doubt that I can't drink, no matter what. Cuz if I caved I'd be right back where I started and have to go through all that crap again.

It gets easier.
Hang in.. and whatever you do, don't drink.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Because it is indeed a roller coaster that you are on... the big ups and downs are behind you but the ride ain't done yet.

We've all been through it, you'll be fine. Keep close to the other recovering drunk.

Bob R.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I had a counselor once tell me that when coming off of any substance it takes up to 6 months to get everything completely out of the system. She also said, "Anyone 6 months and under I don't even classify them as Relapsed cause they are not far enough away from their last use."

I do know this though. Even though I thought I used to crave after getting clean, when I look at it, I might have had a thought of using which is normal, however, a thought can turn quickly into a craving if you don't do something immediately to the thought out of your mind. So for me, as soon as I had one, no matter what I was doing, I would get up and do something else right away, to divert my attention span over to something different so it would help interrupt that thought. I learned if you do something right away no matter what it is, you won't have them thoughts as often and they won't last as long either.

Thanks For Sharing!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on your recovery ksquared. Sound like things are going pretty good. Those cravings arent fun. I had a pretty bad one a few nights ago, but the next morning I was so glad I didn't drink.

Hopefully posting about it took some of it's power away.

God bless.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

change is scary, even good change. When we find out we CAN do something, we start worrying that people, including ourselves, might start expecting more of us...and do we really want that? are we up to that?

I think some of those things are also the reasons we start craving. There is something safe in pathetic and constant inebriation.