Notices

One Week and Counting

Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Week and Counting

Today has been one week since I made the decision to stop drinking. So far I feel pretty great. I've managed to keep myself busy going to exercise classes, reading, and playing video games. I even went for a coffee with a friend I used to party with a lot. It was nice to see her, and while I sometimes miss those days, hearing the recent stories reinforced that this was the right decision to make.

The only time I've really felt an urge to drink was yesterday; it wasn't so much of an urge, but rather I just felt like I was supposed to have a beer. I went snowboarding with my boyfriend, and we would usually take a break midday and sit in the lounge and have some lunch and a couple of beers. I don't think I've ever snowboarded without having a beer at some point in the four years that I've been doing it. We decided to eat in the cafeteria instead, but it just felt strange.

So what does everyone else do to celebrate small successes? Normally I'd grab a drink but ya know.. :P I like to reward myself for things, but I'm not really sure how to reward myself for not drinking, or for making it through a rough day of work without a drink.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is awesome Zeba!!! I am five days in so know how you feel!! I am also curious to see what people do!! Keep up the good work!! We can do this!!!! Lind
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome

I reward myself with many things movies, food, walks, ect. But the best one of all is going to bed sober each nite to wake up that way.

Good love, Inda
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

A new book is always a reward for me.

Good work, Zeba!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good on you,
I think in the early days you should treat yourself to whatever you like. Sobriety now is a reward in itself,coming up to 8 months now.

all the best
caiHong
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your week Zeba

D
Old 01-20-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Excellent Zeba there is a social life and lots of fun without using.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeba View Post
So what does everyone else do to celebrate small successes? Normally I'd grab a drink but ya know.. :P I like to reward myself for things, but I'm not really sure how to reward myself for not drinking, or for making it through a rough day of work without a drink.
Tomorrow I'm going in for my 2nd massage since I quit drinking. Great for relaxing and helping to deal with the anxiety, edginess, and uncertainty.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job zeba! Keep on going!

I second the massage idea. I was a little uncomfortable with the idea at first, but once it started...man it was great!

Hang in there!

God bless.,
Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Since I have quit drinking I look forward to the small things. A good piece of chocolate or a good fun coffee from my favorite coffee shop. I never was able to enjoy the small simple pleasures when I drank. Now, they mean so much.

Good job on your week! Keep us posted.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations.
The first week is the hardest so you are well on your way.
I would usually treat myself with a delicious mouth watering sweet treat but since I am on a diet I can't even do that.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I'm not drinking - day 5 now - I like to shop. Buy myself something I will treasure. Sometimes I feel bad about spending the money, then I think about how I thought nothing about dropping lots of $$ on alcohol.

Congrats to you!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
Tomorrow I'm going in for my 2nd massage since I quit drinking. Great for relaxing and helping to deal with the anxiety, edginess, and uncertainty.
Sounds great! I may have to do that. I went for one when I was younger and really enjoyed it, but the price of them has always turned me off. I figure I'm saving enough right now from not drinking to be able to treat myself.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Congratulations.
The first week is the hardest so you are well on your way.
I would usually treat myself with a delicious mouth watering sweet treat but since I am on a diet I can't even do that.
Thank you I wouldn't say I'm on a diet, but I eat fairly healthy and exercise lots. However, I DO love sweet things, I have some recipes that will satisfy a sweet craving but won't make you feel super guilty. I can share them with you if you'd like!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazee View Post
When I'm not drinking - day 5 now - I like to shop. Buy myself something I will treasure. Sometimes I feel bad about spending the money, then I think about how I thought nothing about dropping lots of $$ on alcohol.

Congrats to you!!!
Thank you! My thoughts exactly about the money. Congrats on making it to day 5!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses everyone! One thing I've found rewarding (and amazing) is that I'm up at 7:45 on a SATURDAY (!!!) to go to an exercise class at 8:30. Had I still been drinking it would probably be another 8 hours before I dragged myself out of bed.

I'm planning on getting my hair cut today, and I start an internship on Tuesday so I think it's time I invest in a power suit I'm hoping it will give me the confidence boost I need to make a great impression and get out of serving tables and into something a little more professional
Old 01-21-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go, Zeba.....there is so much day left, when we put drinking aside. Enjoy the weekend, walking this path with you....
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

:day6

One week! Whooo Hoooo!

Keep On Keeping On!

Congrats
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you!