Notices

3 years, still alcoholic

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

3 years, still alcoholic

Hi SR -

I had my 3 year birthday sober last week and it was uneventful and anticlimactic, the way I guess it should be. I'm still an alcoholic with all those defects of character, but I'm making progress.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the guy who asked where the high functioning alcoholics section was on SR, until you taught me that high-functioning is a STAGE of alcoholism, not a type.

I'm the guy who thought I could quit drinking on will-power alone, until I almost relapsed after my 6 month birthday.

I'm the guy who thought I had a problem with alcohol, until I realized that I was using it as my solution to blot out my real problems.

For the newcomers, especially ones who are questioning whether or not you have a problem, all I can say is that my life has gotten better since I quit, but even better since I actively began working on a program of recovery. While I didn't come into SR with the long list of problems that some do, I was no longer able to control my drinking and this was so baffling and confusing. Since working my program of recovery, I have been able to deal with life as it shows up and take a better attitude about the ups and downs.

I've been able to have fun sober in social situations, business dinners, networking events and holidays - even at a fraternity reunion. I haven't lost the "fun" of life nor have I become boring or glum. Best of all, I've got more peace in my life, as I'm acknowledging and fixing it when I screw up and trying not to control the world as much as I did before.

But, I'm still an alcoholic. My brain is wired to be an alcoholic with addictive thought processes. I've learned to ignore the little voices that tell me that I am cured and can control my drinking. I've learned to recognize the body cues and feelings when I need to reach out to others and get help.

SR has been a wonderful part of my sobriety and you all - newcomers to those with many years - have helped me in my journey. For this I am ever grateful.

And for all this, all I have to do is to not drink today and to be of service to others. No small task, but the next 24 hours is up to you. No one said that this journey would be easy, but given the alternative, it is a small price to pay.

Thanks SR.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this and congratulations on 3 years!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was inspirational. Just a common drunk taking it one day at a time for three years. From your lead, to God's ears to my narrow path.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome... Congrats on 3 years!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a positive and powerful message.
Thanks for that, just for today, those three words, I find those three words the hardest to carry out in my life, but I'm trying. As you said the alternative is not worth thinking about.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks

I can hear my sponsor now "Trust God, clean house and help others."
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 3 years!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks for your hope, NewMe. And congrats on 3 years!

It sounds like you are living the life...the real life.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, I am in the beginning stages of everything you posted.. the 'high functioning' as I had previously labeled myself. I'm glad to know there is hope!

Take care, and congrats!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 years sober!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Again, thank you for your post. You are an inspiration to us newbies to sobriety and this sight. I hope 3 years from now I can send a post similar to yours. Congrats!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 3 years!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by NewMe11109 View Post
Hi SR -

For this I am ever grateful.

Thanks SR.
Priceless !! well done