Notices

Day 6 and facing my first real challenge.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and facing my first real challenge.

Few may know that I am a musician. I play fiddle in three different groups and one is a Celtic rock band. You can imagine the pressure in the past to stay sober in such an environment. I am determined to take this step in my passion for music and move forward sober. You might think that the pressure comes from the people I work with. The people I play with. Which is only half true. Out of three groups and 7 people I work with on a daily basis only one other has a similar problem and we have decided to work through it together. The truth is, it is no one else's fault but my own. So tonight will be the first night since I jumped on the wagon last Sunday that I will be working. I have prepared myself in many ways by creating a set list that is challenging which I look forward to trucking through sober, to buying a 6 pack of glass bottle root beer to put into a cozy to deter others from buying me drinks, and to satisfy the oral fixation. I know these are just tricks but more importantly I am set on the idea that I want this more I did ever before. The anxiety won't ever go away but the reward is much greater. I know I can live without alcohol but I know more I can't live without music. Face it I had music long before alcohol.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Cat. This is a great place for support!

There are many programs out there that will greatly enhance your sobriety and improve your chances of staying sober. You can learn about them on this site.

Best wishes.

God bless.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cat,

I am on day 6 as well. I think that your Root Beer plan is a great idea! Tonight I am going to a social event where I usually drink at and plan on having orange juice and soda. I have also planned an early morning workout. I'm feeling all torn up thinking back and forth about wanting to drink and not wanting to drink. I made a complete arse out of myself last Saturday night, I know that I need to stop drinking for many reasons.

I wish you luck tonight!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I LOVE Celtic music!

I believe that, if you have the motivation, then you can do this, and it sounds like you have the desire.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cat
I love celtic & folk music too

I was a gigging musician too - my drinking cost me my career...so you're really wise to deal with this now.

I left the scene for a long time - I needed to detach myself from the bar scene and from who I had been - when I came back I knew I'd stay sober no matter what - and I have, although I don't gig much anymore - so it is possible

I'm a much better player sober - I think you'll really appreciate the experience

D
Old 01-13-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I have been down this road before but for some reason it was a lot easier this time. I think it is because I do have the desire to keep playing so much. Tonight was fine. Stuck to my guns and had just as much if not more of a great time. And yes my playing is always much more controlled and better when I am sober. It was a great night. I came home with all my pay, and it is now day 7 and I am that much more confident that after tonight's gig tomorrow will be day 8.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome Cat! Way to go!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done Cat! Keep it up, day 14 here and I feel so much better every day x
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How you doing Cat?