Notices

Curious

Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Curious

Well, i guess i need to lay it all out for the input.

I am 27, i drink maybe 2 nights a week. At those times i will drink perhaps 12-14 beers alone. Other nights i feel no urge to drink and it doesn't even enter my mind most of the time.

I have an ongoing autonomous nerve disorder that causes me pain and the related problems (ie vomiting and diarrhea). I only drink to escape these problems. When i drink i can forget that i'm sick and focus on other things.

i also drink socially, but at those times i only consume 1-2 beers at best. this is because i want to be able to drive home to be near a toilet in case i'm sick.

i take medication that effects my mood often, mostly towards depression. i have consulted doctors about this but the general consensus is that my mood on the drugs is better than my mood off them.

i wouldn't class myself as alcoholic but i find i need some occasional release from the pain and ongoing psychological issues. i tend to not worry about my drinking because it is basically my 'time away from myself', and so it can (in my mind be justified) make me happier.

I'd love some input on this.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Well.. I AM an alcoholic, so my only option (besides dying an alcoholic death) was to learn new coping skills. I also used alcohol in place of much healthier options and once I decided never to drink again I had to figure out what to do to help me in times of sadness, anxiety, celebration, boredom. Simply, I had to change my life. When alcohol was a non-option, I began doing things like actually experiencing sadness and working through it, going to the gym to beat the anxiety from my mind, started new hobbies like photography, knitting, writing/journalling, yoga and guided relaxation, and so on. If I hadn't figured out what ELSE to do, I would have spiraled into lots of depression and anxiety too. I had to fill up my empty toolbox, so to speak.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, none of us wanted to believe we were alcoholics at all, I'm not trying to say you are but the fact that your here has you concerned, some people say that if you think you might have a drinking problem you probably do. I agree with flutter though, you certainly have to find something to take the place of alcohol, I'm pretty new at this so right now it's been several recovery sites, virtual meetings and activities with the family.
Good luck to you.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for your reply flutter

at the moment i exercise as much as i can. i feel the pain of it and am reminded that, although painful, it is real. As opposed to my thoughts when i drink too much.

I do however focus often on my personal position, which is often exacerbated by my medication. I find the idea to be motivated for change in my life hard, but to drink is easy. There-in is my problem. I don't want extra activities, i want more of the 'real' me.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dorito281211: thank you for your support, even if through a forum. it is nice to know i'm not the only one new at this!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

i take medication that effects my mood often, mostly towards depression. i have consulted doctors about this but the general consensus is that my mood on the drugs is better than my mood off them.

i wouldn't class myself as alcoholic but i find i need some occasional release from the pain and ongoing psychological issues. i tend to not worry about my drinking because it is basically my 'time away from myself', and so it can (in my mind be justified) make me happier.

I'd love some input on this.
As I replied in another thread of yours I too have an ongoing Nerve/neuropathis disorder that was caused by ongoing CHRONIC ALCOHOL USE and ABUSE.

There are medications out there, that are not addictive that work very well on 'repressing' the 'erroneous messages' the nerves are sending. However, no alcohol with them, just as ONE SHOULD NOT BE DRINKING AT ALL IF TAKING ANTI DEPRESSANTS.

Maybe it's time you get 'honest and clean' with your doctor about your 'self medicating'????

Alcohol is only going to make your 'nerve condition' and your 'depression' WORSE.

J M H O based on over 30+ years of continuously being sober and clean and dealing with the 'health issues' that arose form my use, plus the experiences of all of those I have worked with over those same years.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
As I replied in another thread of yours I too have an ongoing Nerve/neuropathis disorder that was caused by ongoing CHRONIC ALCOHOL USE and ABUSE.

There are medications out there, that are not addictive that work very well on 'repressing' the 'erroneous messages' the nerves are sending. However, no alcohol with them, just as ONE SHOULD NOT BE DRINKING AT ALL IF TAKING ANTI DEPRESSANTS.

Maybe it's time you get 'honest and clean' with your doctor about your 'self medicating'????

Alcohol is only going to make your 'nerve condition' and your 'depression' WORSE.

J M H O based on over 30+ years of continuously being sober and clean and dealing with the 'health issues' that arose form my use, plus the experiences of all of those I have worked with over those same years.

Love and hugs,
Appreciate the love!

I'm new, so please understand my ignorance of 'JHMO'.

My medication was prior my alcohol use, as was my depression. They are both born of my condition apparently. I've discussed this with my doctor and his response was to continue as is. Minus the alcohol. I have tried meditation and CBT so far and am hoping still for a positive result.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey bluemuppet, welcome!! You will find a ton of love and support here.

For me the drinking and drugging made my phsycological issues(depression, anxiety). Alcohol is a depressant, and I was trying to treat depression with it.

There are healthier ways to learn to live with your illnesses. Sometimes it takes a little time to find what works for you. I know alcohol is not the answer.

Best wishes!!

God bless.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
Hey bluemuppet, welcome!! You will find a ton of love and support here.

For me the drinking and drugging made my phsycological issues(depression, anxiety). Alcohol is a depressant, and I was trying to treat depression with it.

There are healthier ways to learn to live with your illnesses. Sometimes it takes a little time to find what works for you. I know alcohol is not the answer.

Best wishes!!

God bless.
Appreciate the sentiments, and thank you!

However, i hate the idea of 'god' (atheist if you must), but i do find support in the trials of other humans. Good to know i'm not the only one!i have trouble with the idea of Mythra/Mtyhrias...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I was in CBT too but couldnt afford the $200 a week with no insurance. Now I am on an outpatient program at the hospital and psychiatrist put me on a waiting list for CBT and group therapy and told me that meds alone will not help I need to treat my emotional problems and alcohol was a symptom for deeper issues.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I was in CBT too but couldnt afford the $200 a week with no insurance. Now I am on an outpatient program at the hospital and psychiatrist put me on a waiting list for CBT and group therapy and told me that meds alone will not help I need to treat my emotional problems and alcohol was a symptom for deeper issues.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
I hope you can get CBT when you need it. It's appalling that you can't get the help needed when it should be there...

i hate to say it, and i mean no disrespect, but i get 12 FREE sessions a year on my health cover. And i'm taking all 12. No insurance needed, i live in a country that provides it free...Australia...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Gotta love the United States. While I was in psych unit it made me mad bc the nurses ignored you, you were not offered therapy, you had to see the psychiatrist everyday. You cried or got angry all they wanted to do was drug you up more. I said to my main psychatrist that I liked the ativan it numbed my emotions and she took me off of it bc she said it works the same as alcohol and that I needed to feel my emotions. My response was "How am I supposed to deal with my emotions here? You drug us up but you dont offer therapy in this place. I spend hours in bed crying and I am ignored by the nurses but you expect me to feel when I have no possible outlet or I dont have any positive coping mechanisms to handle my emotions. Thats the reason why I drank bc I odnt know any other way of coping" I got no response back.

Another psychiatrist just wanted to increase my doase of Citalopram when I told him I still felt depressed even if I was only on it less than a week. My response to him was 'Isnt meds, similar to alcohol just like putting a band aid over the problems? You think increasing my dosage is going to cure me?" He said I had a good point lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gotta love the United States. While I was in psych unit it made me mad bc the nurses ignored you, you were not offered therapy, you had to see the psychiatrist everyday. You cried or got angry all they wanted to do was drug you up more. I said to my main psychatrist that I liked the ativan it numbed my emotions and she took me off of it bc she said it works the same as alcohol and that I needed to feel my emotions. My response was "How am I supposed to deal with my emotions here? You drug us up but you dont offer therapy in this place. I spend hours in bed crying and I am ignored by the nurses but you expect me to feel when I have no possible outlet or I dont have any positive coping mechanisms to handle my emotions. Thats the reason why I drank bc I odnt know any other way of coping" I got no response back.

Another psychiatrist just wanted to increase my doase of Citalopram when I told him I still felt depressed even if I was only on it less than a week. My response to him was 'Isnt meds, similar to alcohol just like putting a band aid over the problems? You think increasing my dosage is going to cure me?" He said I had a good point lol.
Move away. get proper care...just sayin...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by bluemuppet View Post
I'm new, so please understand my ignorance of 'JHMO'.
JMHO = just my honest opinion
IMO = in my opinion
YMMV = your mileage may vary
FTR = for the record

Those are a few abbreviations common to most forums, off the top of my head.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
JMHO = just my honest opinion
IMO = in my opinion
YMMV = your mileage may vary
FTR = for the record

Those are a few abbreviations common to most forums, off the top of my head.
Thank you! As i said, i'm new to this, so everything helps!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

+1 to this. So far all i get is 'increase'.