Notices

Meetings

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings

How many meetings should one do? I am going on 7 months clean and I do about 5 meetings a week. The problem is I work about 60 hours a week and I never seem to have any me time. On my days off I do all my grocery shopping, my cleaning,my laundry and I never have any time to relax. I know that it is not good to become complacent but I am wore out. Does anybody have any suggestions.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

I'm 7 months too (today ) and I do 2-3 meetings a week. I'm not sure I'd fit 5 in....

Why so many? Is that what your sponsor has suggested? xx
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go to meetings, but I wanted to offer you my support as you work on your recovery.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Today I am 1 year 6 months sober. Attend AA meetings regularly. Made many 5 day a week meetings. Suggestion, do your laundry and other things during the time you would go to meetings for just one week and on that weekend have "me time". Try that, if your comfortable with it, then adjust your meeting schedule so you'll have more me time.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

complacency isn't only measured by meeting attendance. my recovery requires balance, and it also requires time commitments for non meeting things that i deem vital to my recovery. things like exercise, spending time with family, step work!, working with sponsees, etc..

when i reached 7 months clean i was pretty secure in being able to read myself and intuit what i needed to do. do you feel that way now? taking the suggestions and doing what others are doing was crucial to my recovery process, but i see it as a way to empower myself to better understand my own needs, not just blindly follow forever. But i did blindly follow at first, and definitely needed such direction and structure.

whenever i am in doubt, i go to a meeting that day, and call my sponsor. otherwise i go when i feel i need the message of recovery, feel inspired to share the message of recovery, or just feel like being social.

my home group meets twice a week so i always attend those two. i typically attend 3-4 a week these days, at 2 years clean, but sometimes it's just those two. Some busy weeks i've even only made one of my homegroup meetings, but i've never gone more than 6 days without one.

For me, it's not a hardfast rule like going to work. i attend as it fits into the stream of my daily life. The only real rules i have set for myself regarding meeting attendance are:

1) Always go to my homegroup(barring circumstances out of my control)
2) When in doubt, GO!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I madee a committment to get to 3 a week. Alikies often make wonderful plans with no follow through, so sticking to a committment is awesome for me. I live on borrowed time-keeping a balance is crucial.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like two to three a week... Easy to fit in and keeps me "on the beam".
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of the guys I know says that he only needs to go to 1 meeting a week.

He just never knows "which one."

You know, that one meeting where you hear something that really connects so that you can stay sober for a week.

Myself, I work a lot of hours, and have other responsibilities. I shoot for 2 - 3 meetings a week, although sometimes I might only make one. But I log onto Sober Recovery pretty much 7 days a week and work "my program" 7 days a week.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Early in I attended at least 5 per week. I've since gone down to may be 2 or 3 plus a few meetings with sponsee in there.

There is no set amount a person should attend. It's a personal discussion. I think the key is finding the right balance for your life having enough time to take care of all of the things life demands.

Also, meetings are not the most important thing in my recovery. Working the steps with my sponsor and now working with others is where it's at!