Notices

Four Months Tomorrow

Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four Months Tomorrow

Just thought I'd pop in and share how it's going with me at 4 months. I've got lots of extra time on my hands and sometimes get bored and try to sleep too much. I'm not sleeping all that great. All my defects are still with me, everything didn't magically get better as i was hoping, a lot of things get better but sadly the reasons i drank didn't go away. I am working on feeling better without alcohol. Anyways, I'll continue to work on the reasons I drank, i.e. boredom, the disire to feel good, and to make things go away (and probably much more..) P.S. I really don't have too many cravings to use anything, but then again it took 38 years of drinking and using to realize I needed to stop. Thanks for reading, and for all your stories. OCD

Last edited by OCDDan; 01-09-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((OCDDan))) - Congratulations on 4 months!! FWIW, I don't remember how long it took me, in recovery, to really address all the issues behind my using, but it was a while. I thought I was doing great at various milestones in my recovery. What I've learned is that it just keeps getting better and better.

I don't mean that life gets miraculously better. It doesn't, but I'm able to appreciate the good times, get through the bad times and don't make stupid choices (like using) that are going to have more consequences in the future.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome job Dan!!!!

God bless.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YEAAA!!!! Congrats!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dan good job. More importantly good self honesty and disclosure. Life is what happens when we're making other plans goes the Lennon quote. But true. No, no magic and we don't become the pretend people alcohol made us think we had become, when in reality we had become the opposite. Life doesn't get better, we do. It is what it is, and when you get right down to it, it is enough.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well congratulations on your 4 months tomorrow. I'm 4 months myself and in a couple of weeks will reach 5 months. But thats another story. I focus on today only now. My goal to strive being sober for this moment in time. I use to think I could stay sober for a year and then more. It was too overwhelming and I continued to drink for 5 more months while living on my own. Even though I only drank for about 6 years the way I did drink in that short amount of time was equal to someone who drank for years. Luckily I never had major cravings. especially after I have stopped cold turkey. Haven't had an urge because I know I have finished with the drinking idea for today. I can't see myself picking up again. For I will lose everything I worked so hard for this time around. Chairing meetings, started talking about the slogans in front of people and now I have been given the right to chair an interchange meeting at another group! Plus I have met someone whom I'd never would have met if I continued drinking or if I didn't at all. I'd still be on nights. I met her once I was brought back to days since I couldn't be trusted to show up to my night shift due to drinking all day.

Keep going! it's so good to hear how your working at figuring yourself out. And even though I feel awesome I will always remember that it only takes an arm length to pick up that first drink and that it's not too hard to do so. I was once egotistic with staying sober and I failed over and over, especially when I thought I could deal with it on my own which never worked. I dropped all the higher power business, dropped my meetings... heck once I even drank before a meeting and was buzzed and sat there smirking as the meeting was going and in my head the dark thought of wanting to get out of there so I could drink more and call on my drinking friend to party it up was in my head the whole time. I did end up getting plastered after the meeting. it's sad but again I'm glad I don't do it anymore. I got back my normal self, I care for everyone around me, I stay true to my word and I have that special someone now for added support. All thanks to AA, Higher Power and these forums and you guys and girls! Thanks for reading my super long post
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Congrats on 4 months.
It must be hard but keep going and it will all work out.
Try to find some other things to do to fill the empty hours. Being bored is my bigest obstacle too. I am retired and I should take my own advice and ty to find other activities. I will do that-------Tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats, Dan, on 4 months!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Way to go, Dan!