Notices

Day 8: Severe Anxiety/Panic Problems

Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8: Severe Anxiety/Panic Problems

I just turned 39 and I am on day 8 of being sober as a part of a New Years resolution. My regular drinking on was on average 6-8 beers 0-4 times per week since I graduated from college in 1997. Some weeks I would not drink at all, esp in the last 4 years. If I went to a wedding or other gathering, it would be more like 10-12 beers. In the last 6 years I've had several 2-3 month periods of sobriety from drinking and one 12 month period of sobriety (2009 - It was great!). During my drinking days, I mainly drank on weekends, and sometimes during the week with the guys after a hockey game or if we went out to dinner. There was no such thing as having 1 or 2 for me. It was always 6 or 8 or 10. 1 or 2 beers always produced this "itch" in me that could only be scratched by more beer.

I'm on day 8 of being sober I'm having severe anxiety issues. The first 3 days were really no different than before I formally stopped. I was normally sober on Sun, Mon, Tue, and it didn't feel any different. On day 4 it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have no urge to drink, which is good, and which I expected, but I am absolutely paralyzed with anxiety. I took sick days at work on Thursday/Friday last week becuase my mind was racing and completely obsessed with feelings of anxiety and panic. I'm a hypochondriac, and I've managed to convince myself that I am going to die soon due to my past alcohol abuse. Right now, in my mind, every little/oddity issue with my body, either real or perceived, is a sure sign that I've permanently damaged my body and that I am going to die soon. More generally than that, I have this overwhelming feeling of general doom. I can't say exactly what it is, but something just doesn't seem right, and it just seems certain that something bad is going to happen soon. I'm a natural worrier, so many of these feelings are amplified 10 times from what they may normally be.

I'm desperate for some type of relief or reassurance. My wife is incredibly supportive and positive, but in my sorry state, there is only so many times one person can say "everything is going to be OK" before my panicky mind convinces me otherwise.

The soonest Doctor appt I could get with the gastroenterologist is in 10 days. I am going to have him check me out and run tests to see what kind of shape my body is in. I just have no idea how I am going to deal with the anxiety until then. Even after that, the way I'm feeling now, it just doesn't seem like it will go away.

Any positive and encouraging words are appreciated.

Edit: I've been going for long walks every day and taking hot baths, showers, and saunas frequently. Any other tips for treating the anxiety are much appreciated.

Last edited by HenryKrinkle; 01-08-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added addl comments
Old 01-08-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Henry
Welcome

Can you make an earlier appointment with a different Dr perhaps? preferably someone with experience with anxiety?

I think anxiety is pretty common in the early days but noone should have to live with severe anxiety IMO.

D
Old 01-08-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Henry
Welcome

Can you make an earlier appointment with a different Dr perhaps? preferably someone with experience with anxiety?

I think anxiety is pretty common in the early days but noone should have to live with severe anxiety IMO.

D
Old 01-08-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Sorry you're having to deal with this, Henry. I suffer from depression and anxiety that has at times been crippling, such as you describe.

You have absolutely done the right thing by contacting your doctor. He/she can order up the tests necessary to put your mind at ease. My doctors orders up lab work 2-3 times per year just to monitor me, especially since I'm medicated for my depression and anxiety.

FWIW, my alcohol abuse sounds like it was way worse than yours, and I have been given a clean bill of health. Physically anyway. The mental and emotional stuff is another story. I just got myself back into therapy with a new psychologist - he has experience working with alcoholics and addicts - after a break of nine months.

Can you locate a therapist nearby that may be able to see you sooner than 10 days? Get to a meeting? Talk to your friends/family? Certainly, you can keep posting here. There is a lot of help in this forum.

In the meantime, there is much you can do to try to mitigate the anxiety. Keep yourself hydrated and eating well. Take your vitamins. The B vitamins have a direct impact on anxiety and depression, and can be depleted by drinking. Meditate. Exercise. Divert your attention to something productive.

Anxiety compounds itself because you feel the fear of fear itself. You are actually afraid of your own feelings. Sounds silly, but it's true. Allow yourself to feel the feelings rather than fight them. Easier said than done, but I know what it's like to think the feelings won't end. Fact is, this is temporary and they always do.

Hit me up if you need to talk more. Welcome and keep posting!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the replies. Very helpful. My wife suggested calling the doctor and seeing if they have a cancellation list where they might be able to get me in sooner if someone else cancels.

I have to say that reading SR has been a great help in the last few days. When I first started having issues I starting searching for information and quickly came across SR which has been such a big help. Whenever I feel a bit of panic come along, I always pull up this forum and read and that helps a lot. Reading other people's stories and finding out that what I am feeling isn't necessarily abnormal has been very reassuring.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get hit with periods of anxiety to Henry. It's not a pleasant feeling to say the least. Meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous help me greatly. Posting here like you did does wonders as well. Good nutrition, exercise, meditation, doing something to distract yourself that doesn't require to much brain power helps to. I don't know if you are a praying person, but it definately works for me. Good that your seeing a doctor.

Hang in there. It will get better.

God bless.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Update

I was able to get my doctor appointment moved up to tomorrow, early morning. If I wasn't able to get it moved up I would have another week of sitting around thinking about it. I'm planning on asking for blood tests to try and determine if any major organs are having issues. I'm terrified of what will happen if anything comes back abnormal, but I'm thinking the fear of not knowing is worse. Wish me luck.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Henry, good for you for taking action and moving the appointment to a time that is better suited for you.

I had terrible anxiety when I stopped drinking because my imagination was running overtime with deadly disease ideas. Eventually, I had to come to the conclusion that I was feeling physically well at the moment. And, after all, who knows what will happen tomorrow? I hope your dr will help to ease your mind, but have faith that you are on the right path.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you were able to get your appointment moved up! Once you have concrete information about the state of your health, it will form a basis for you and your doctor to formulate an informed plan of action.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I am just starting again too, Henry (this is my third time). I'm on Day 11 and can relate to the anxiety. It's normal but it doesn't feel so great. lol My AA sponsor had three words of wisdom that I keep coming back to: "It will pass." Whenever I start getting anxious, I take a few deep breaths, close my eyes and keep repeating that to myself. It works for me, and knowing that I'm not going crazy but just experiencing what is "normal" kind of helps me keep things in perspective. Journaling helps me too; getting all my feelings out on paper is very cathartic.

Keep coming here for support. We've all been where you are. "It will pass."

Good luck with your doctor appointment. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am going through the exact same feelings so reading these posts about anxiety has been helpful to me. I also have been obsessing about every little thing. Like you, I don't know if they are real or imaginary, or simply pains brought on by the intense anxiety. I am headed to my first drs appt today, two more scheduled after this. I'm starting to think that our anxiety has been suppressed by all of the alcohol, and now everything is coming back at once. Good luck w/ your appt and please let us know how it goes : )
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good News

Went to the doctor yesterday. It's been a wild last day and a half. To summarize:

- The doctor did a physical exam and didn't find anything abnormal, which was a good first step.

- He said the biggest thing he could see wrong with me, at least initially, was severe anxiety caused by the removal of alcohol. Alcohol was probably masking it before I quit, and it is now amplified after due to withdrawal. He put me on Buspar for a month to help with anxiety.

- He recommended me to do AA or an outpatient program at a well known substance abuse facility here in the mid-west. I'm considering what my next steps will be in that area. AA doesn't seem like a good fit for me due to the whole higher power part. Any suggestions on a secular alternative?

- Gave blood for the tests (the scary part).

- Scheduled me for an upper GI endoscopy to check out some issues I had with swallowing and feeling like food was getting stuck in my throat, plus to check for issues related to some dark colored stool I told him about (I was very upfront and honest about what was going on).

- The endoscopy today turned out fine today. There are some concentric rings on my esophagus that maybe caused by a fairly benign asthma like condition. (Not to sure about these details - I was a little out of it from the sedation.) Anyway, they took a biopsy for testing. I think the worst that could happen here is I would have to take some meds to treat the condition. Oh yeah, and the other thing they did was stretch out my esophagus by jamming this semi-flexible rod down my throat (not fun).

- The GI doc I saw yesterday just called back and reported all of the blood tests came back normal.

Words can't describe how I feel right now. I am on day 12 of being sober and I'm looking forward to a lifetime of the same. This is my chance to (sort of) start over. I'm going to make the most of it and start living again. Thank you everyone for your support and kind words. If I ever get the urge to drink again I'm going to come back and re-read this post and remember why I can't.

Last edited by HenryKrinkle; 01-12-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Minor formatting
Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you got good news from the doc Henry.

Great job on the 12 days of sobriety!!

Keep hanging in there, and keep on posting!!

God bless.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is awesome! Proof positive that a visit to the doctor is a good place to start for us newbies, especially for those of us that also have anxiety!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Any suggestions on a secular alternative?
You might find what you're looking for in our secular connections forum Henry
Some of our members have found great success with SMART or Rational Recovery.

D
Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yay! Good news! You did the right thing by going to the drs and having them check everything out. Now you have a lot less to worry about : )