Notices

Trouble after rehab

Old 01-09-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

that house mother or whatever she's called sounds like a biothch!!!!

I I was there I'd probably end up getting kicked out for talking back to her. This doesn't sound like healing to me.

I got into it with the doctor at my rehab and he threatened just because I was challenging him, to keep me legally another three days, (which my insurance would not pay for and I could not afford). I told the staff if he does that I will make sure everyone knows this rehab is a prison and not a rehab, and even if I do relapse I would never ever come back here again.

Just because we have problem with alcohol or meds or drugs, doesn't mean we're ******** and should be treated as such. Each person is different and should be given the opportunity to heal at their own pace.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

everybody recovers at different rates, and recovery houses are full of sick people trying to get better. this type of stuff is fairly common but not the case in all places. whatever you do, don't drink or use! at the very least you'll learn some coping skills. i don't like giving advice to strangers. do you have a sponsor or trusted friend in recovery? i will say that recovery houses are a wonderful asset for many peoples early recovery, but i know many people who have had to move from one recovery house to another to find the support and vibe they needed to grow.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

BTW - if you live in a recovery house and you find out someone is using or they offer you drugs/alcohol. The right thing to do for your recovery as well as everyone else in the house is to turn them in. At an Oxford House ..... you must if you want to keep living there.

And yes, there are sick people everywhere.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, I stayed at a sober living house for 3 months here in Milwaukee and unfortunately it was somewhat of a mirror image of what you are talking about. I went on my own accord to figure my life out, but there were many there that were court mandated. This set up a living arrangement that was difficult to handle. All I can say is that at the end of the day it was probably the best thing I have ever done for myself. This crazy atmosphere is actually somewhat representative of the real world. There are temptations everywhere and most people are really just watching out for themselves, and that is exactly what you should do.

For me, I absolutely adhered to the rules and then just kept an open mind and utilized my resources. I'm sure the house "mother" may not have a degree, but I'm sure there are some individuals around there that do, and hopefully one of those people you can connect with. Stay clean, use your resources and keep yourself SAFE! By safe I mean tell on those who are using or gossiping, those thins are poisen to anyone in recovery and it is better for those unfortunate individuals to get caught in a sober house than by the police. I hope this helps and I wish you the best during your stay!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about sober living homes, so these might seem like dumb questions, but are people not allowed to leave to go to the store?

I also don't understand what not having any butter has to do with practicing gratitude and that being what the real world is like.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Choublak, you would have to live in a sober living house to really understand it. You are usually free to work and sometimes go on weekend passes but there is always a curfew. Random drug testing happens a lot. A few "bad apples" will continue to drink and drug while living there. Sometimes the recovery houses are more concerned about the rent money than they are about the persons sobriety. I have been in close to a half dozen recovery homes in and around Chicago. This is just my experience. To the OP, it sounds if you are sincere about recovery and I wish you the best.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So the house mother meant they should be grateful for having a place to live?