Notices

Withdrawal experiences

Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by too.tall View Post
Hi, I am not seeking medical advice I am only asking you to tell me what it was like the first week you quit drinking. Also, how much and for how long did you drink and what did you feel when you quit.

Thank you,
Hi, I'm on Day 3 and would like to let you know how I feel.

Concentration is lacking, very. Mostly at work though which is a bit technical at the very least.

Sleep has been iffy but much better than when drunk. Last night I woke up once and I think that might have only been because I had too much liquid before bed - had to pee!

I'm still spacey/foggy, like I smoked weed. I haven't smoked weed in years. No real shakes but sleeeepy. The brisk walk I just took helped a ton.

I really think a lot of the withdrawals just depends on who you are, your demos (age, f/m, how much you drank and for how long, etc.). Our bodies are all different so who knows what one person might have compared to another.

I really think the folks on here have it dead right - whatever we are going thru now has got to be better than getting drunk. Good luck to you, hang in there.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TooTall I think I had it pretty mild but it was there. I am 43 and had my first drink at 16yrs old. For some that is old! LOL I didn't drink a whole lot until I went to college. I hated living there and to numb the pain I drank. I went back home to live a while after and was a pretty dry person for the most part for a long time. It wasn't until I had something really horrible happen to me in my relationship that the drinking took a serious turn for the worst and I'd say that has been about 9yrs of heavy drinking but the last year was horrific.

My symptoms were sweating like crazy for about two weeks, not sleeping, obsessing over drinking, anger, irritability, more anger, fear, anxiety, etc. Mine was more of an emotional withdrawal. I was up to two bottles of wine per day and sometimes more the last 9 months of my drinking. I know for some that dosen't sound like a lot but I also took medications and that intensified the effects of alcohol in my system - all the more reason to stop.

Hope that helps.