Notices

Looking for support and friends!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for support and friends!

Hey guys. Im super new to SR so I wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little about me. I am a 29 y/o wife and mother of two who's decided its time to get some help. I've been drinking since I was 21 more heavily in the last four or so. Though I guess I am what some would consider a functioning alcoholic , I hold a job, keep a nice house and am a good mother (though no where near as good as I believe I could be) I know my drinking is completely out of control. What once was a couple drinks after the kids go to bed is now drinking a 1/2 a fifth of vodka or more 4 times a week. I still wait until my kids are in bed and my husband is always home when I do, (grr.. I feel like I am defending my habits already and there is NO excuse). But this drinking is really changing me. I was always the fun happy person that never lost her temper, always the strong person. Now im constantly cranky, angry, irratable and usualy hung over. Though im even finding I don't get as hung over as I use too.. I heard that was a big sign of alcoholism? Anyone have experience with that? Drinking so often you don't get hung over anymore?

Not only is alcohol changing who I am emotionaly and mentaly but I can also see alot of changes in myself physically. I am constantly fatigued, my face gets very red and blotchy, and three times now I have had severe (I mean like labor severe) pain in my upper abdomen after having drinking the previous night. I am in the medical field but by no means a doctor but im 90% sure that these pains were caused by accute pancreatitis. Not to mention the weight I have put on and just can't seem to lose no matter how few calories I eat. I believe I have really messed up my metabolism.

Anyways, just wanted to let people get a feel for my situation. Im hoping to meet some great people and get a little support from people who understand, and maybe I will even be able to help out a few people as well. I've never been on a forum before so it may take me a little while to figure out how to navigate around it but in the meantime, beyond getting help for alcoholism I love to talk about nutrition, cooking, weightloss, natural foods, remedies etc. .

Thanks so much for listening to my story. :-)

Jamie
Old 12-31-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mandosca

I went for years without hangovers - I suspect it was because I was very rarely actually sober....

You'll find a lot of advice ideas and support here - and friends too

great to have you with us - any questions about the site just ask...

D
Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome!

Drinking definitely changed me, too. I'm so much more positive and patient now, and I feel good about myself again. I'm glad you decided to join us - this place has been my lifeline!

Things can be good again. Keep reading and posting!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR I'm in the same boat, in fact your drinking habits sound just like mine.. started drinking socially at 21, and the last 4 years have been my downfall, I'm also 29.. Being sober is FUN though! Stay sober and only good things will happen! Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Jamie....Welcome and Happy New Year.....I think most of us can relate to your story...It's amazing how that stuff grabs ahold of you. But what better time than now to put an end to that misery.....I don't know what kind of will power you have...Mine sucked....And it took me a little longer to even wise up and try to get sober...But I finally did something. I'd recommend getting some kind of plan or program to really throw yourself into.....As well as use this site as support...Maybe this site alone is enough for you...I needed a little more structure. I drank for longer than you have lived. Best of luck to you...Oh.....Just curious...Is your husband a drinker?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Jamie and Happy New Year! For a long time I didn't have hangovers because I was usually still drunk the next morning. Maybe a little headache. As I have gotten older(39 now) the times I have gotten drunk the hangovers are horrible. I hope you can find a great support group as well as this site and stay sober because it will only get worse.
Wishing you the best. God bless.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

awwww hugs mad
Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
HappyHeartJoy

Hey Jamie, your story could be my story. I have made it 2 weeks today. My first step was to tell my husband as I had been drinking every night (vodka so he couldn't smell it). The relief I felt was huge. I hope you have plenty of support at home. Keep posting, keep reading (same advise I got from one of the lovely SR members). I also greatly benefited from reading the posts in 'Recovery Stories'. It helps to read about other peoples journeys, it has helped me to believe I can do this. You can too.

Mandy
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JEANS

Hi Jamie and welcome. I hope you seek advice from a doctor about your pains as soon as you can. Does your husband know how much you are drinking?

I'm relatively new to this site and have found it so helpful already, good luck and happy new year
Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and keep coming back!!!!!!!!! This is the best place I have found online for loving support.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jamie,
I'm new to this form too but stopped drinking 14 months ago. I agree with someone who said to see your Dr. I also found in the first days of abstinence I needed to drink a lot of water to rehdrate. Drinkers are often constantly dehydrated. Unlike you I always had hangovers. It got to the point that it took two to three days to get over one. Not sure how, but I managed to keep drinking right through them. This life is so much more rewarding. I love living in the present moment....and remembering it!
All the best in this new year!
Margene
Old 01-01-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Jamie! You will find plenty of friends and support here. Congratulations on your decison to give up alcohol. God bless you!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Quit drinking and many (if not all) of your emotional and physical concerns will improve.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome to SR, Mandosca. You've found a great place to support your recovery. I was a half-fifth of vodka drinker daily (or an equivalent), and sometimes more, when I quit almost 5 months ago. It can be done, and it's quite a rewarding step. I wish you well on your new journey in life.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and well wishes. Its day two and I know ill probably do ok untill friday.. Weekends are the hardest for me. I haven't seen a doctor yet. The last time It happened was xmas day and I wasn't about to go to the ER that day!. It only happened two or three times prior and over a period of 10 months. I've been fine since and hope that it wont hzppen again since Im quitting.

@jeans. My husband does know how much Im drinking, well I've never hid it from him, and though he knew I had a problem, I don't think he realized the depth of it. Or maybe he did and jus didn't want to hurt me by confronting me? Im not sure.

@sapling. Hmm trick question.. my husband does drink, mostly wine or beer. But not at all like I do. He is capable of having three beers and being done, or not drinking if there's alcohol in the house.. I do think he uses it to destress and def drinks more then he use too. I guess some would call him an alcoholic as well but I wouldn't. If he is its very minor!

Thanks again guys, I already feel likefor the first time I have people who can really relate with me. Its a nice feeling.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Mandosca,

Welcome to the forum. After reading your story I agree with you, you need to give up.
I use AA and this forum to keep me sober I probably rely more heavily on this forum.

You can do it, keep posting no matter if you think it is trivial it's not, you are very important and your sobriety is uppermost.

CaiHong