Notices

Could use some support

Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could use some support

My husband is not sure he wants to stay married to me anymore. In the past I'd start drinking again to keep him from leaving. I don't want to go there again, but am terrified I can't support my two sons, one of whom has brain cancer as you know, without him. Target just doesn't pay that well. And to top it off, it's New Years Eve and I'm on my way to a huge drunken party, with my actively alcoholic husband who wants a divorce. I don't want to drink. I don't want to drink. I don't want to drink. Is that enough? I need my SR friends. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can't change how he feels or what he does. Take it one step at a time. You can only control your actions and how you internalize your feelings, right here right now. Be the best mom you can be and take care of yourself. Maybe you should skip the party hon?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This might be a weird question but why are you attending this party?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Alimony & child support would help. there are solutions!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Eliasson, You've worked so hard. You'll be so mad at yourself if you cave over this. Drinking makes everything worse and harder to deal with. Getting numb just makes us confused and emotional. You're very fragile right now - maybe it would've been best to avoid temptation. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you're facing this eliasson - but would a marriage you have to drink to stay in be good for you?

I know the future is scary but I think that's the same for a lot of us really married or not - sometimes all we can do is take it day by day...

not wanting to drink can be enough - if you put the action of saying no thanks and not picking up a drink behind it

I have confidence in you

D
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Thinking about you tonight....hang in there and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I stayed for an hour and am now back home. Watching other people get drunk is just not fun. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy New Year to you too

D
Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I hope you're doing OK, Eliasson. Remember that you deserve a better, sober life. Don't give that up for anyone!

Things are difficult right now and it's scary to think about the future, but that doesn't mean good things aren't ahead, and besides, all you can do is tackle today. There were times in my first year that I had to go back to staying sober a minute at a time, and that's OK.

I'm sending a little prayer, just in case you're at that party right now.......
Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just missed your post - I'm so relieved!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat, I feel for you. My wife is still drinking a LOT, and its a total killer to my recovery.. But, I'm not judging her, she says she doesn't have a problem, so thats up to her.. We've really turned into two different people over the years.. She went from the homemaker and wanting to have a family, to being wild and partying all the time, it's tough for me to want to stay with her hoping she changes again soon.. All you can do is watch out for you, stay strong!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Happy New Year, Eliasson.

These changes with your husband are of course scary but I'm thinking the prospect of divorcing an abusive alcoholic puts a bubble of hope in your gut, too.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Eliasson,

God I admire your strength. When I think I am having a "tough" day I think of what you have to cope with and you still are staying sober. Really how bad could it be if he left?
I am sure that you would and could manage. I agree with SSLI75
All the best
CaiHong
Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have such strength! Maybe you can strecth it a little further and put the drink down for good. I have a son with a dissability and im not sure what state you live in but there are programs and funding for our kids plus like someone else said child support and alimony. It doesnt replace your husbands role as a father but if hes copping out anyway its good to know you wont just be stranded! This is a painful change for you and your family and Im so sorry! I had to get sober to see what a blessing and an honor I was chosen to care for my son you too! It takes special people like us to endure each day with special children! I am also a single mom my sons father left for california after my sons diagnosis at 18 months he is now 11. It is so possible!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there Eliasson. Your sobriety and the care of you children is what is most important. Stay strong, we are behind you.
God bless