Notices

I confess: I do not want to quit drinking

Old 12-25-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
That's why alcoholism ruins peoples lives. They feel alcohol is their friend, love, and their god.

I have been struggling with how I lost my walk with God for somebody who is quite faithful. Then you nailed it, at some point alcohol became my God. It was all down hill from there.
Very insightful. In AA they would say that alcohol became your higher power, essentially the same thing.

Seared, I don't know what to tell you. I hope that you find the strength to take steps to get sober for good.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

I feel your struggle, seared. Keep posting. Maybe re-read all of your posts, too, if you haven't. You aren't alone. Maybe get to aa when your gal hits an al anon meeting....
Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The "Plan" is a relapse prevention plan - look these up on line. it tells you how to handle life for an alcoholic or other user.
Make it personalized for you and written on index card for the wallet.
It should include the names of people you can call for support - if you get into trouble., amongst other things.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Seared,

A "plan" is simply a list of alternative options or actions for when the urge to drink hits you.

The plan can include a list of people to call, people to meet, attending a meeting, or simply substituting a healthier activity, such as going for a long walk, running, visit the gym, journaling, picking up an art project, a book, making a cup of tea or hot chocolate, etc, etc.

You simply come up with your own personalized list of alternatives to drinking.

Good luck to you!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Seared - I hope you're doing well. I loved it to - but I'm here so I must have hated it also.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by Seared View Post
I love alcohol too much to quit.

At the same time, I hate myself for being this way.
Interested to hear how it goes for you.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I felt like this several times. I don't think many of us enter recovery with great relish, I sure didn't, I was kicking and screaming till the last. And it is tough at first, which discourages many people - they soon find that recovery involves a lot more than just putting down the drink, it's something that involves the whole personality. Alcohol becomes so ingrained in what we think is our 'personality'.

Towards the end though, it was less about getting a high or enjoyment from alcohol anymore - which was minimal really. Maybe 5 minutes of a mild high before I blacked out and engaged in increasingly risky behaviour I paid a lot for. If I didn't really like it anymore, why couldn't I stop? Because I just didn't know what it was like to exist without it anymore, I felt as if I would not be able to function.

I hope you don't need to go to the depths that I did before your own wake up moment. But I knew that nothing would get through to me either before then. I hate what this does to people, but we are always here should you have second thoughts.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Seared;3216349]I actually do want to, and plan to, quit drinking. The original post was not actually written by me.QUOTE]

Anyone else besides me confused about this?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=flamingredhair;3217718]
Originally Posted by Seared View Post
I actually do want to, and plan to, quit drinking. The original post was not actually written by me.QUOTE]

Anyone else besides me confused about this?
I'm curious what this means, as well...
Old 12-26-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I loved drinking too. I romanticized the habit, the image, the effects.

So I told myself I'd quit for a while to see what would happen. I always reserved the right to go back to drinking if I wanted but after about a month I realized that I didn't really love it after all. All of that romanticizing and rationalization was just bunk.

If you think you love it, give it up for a month or two just to see what would happen.

Kind of like that old saying, "if you love something, set it free..."
Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=SixStringZen;3217729]
Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post

I'm curious what this means, as well...
Me too.

Seared, there's lots of help here for those who truly want it.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Michelleo1

I must comment on your post. To me you said it all in a very articulate to the point nutshell.
Seared only you can decide to give up. For your sake I hope you do and when you do, we are here for you

CaiHong
Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Fdm

I understand. Drinking beers in the evening has become second nature over the last 10 years. It's a habit, that I know is damaging, but when I'm drinking beers, this never crosses my mind. It's not until after the event, when I ask myself "What the hell am I doing?". I have found myself even noting that the buzz generated from drinking 2-3 back to back is gone within a few hours. It's wasted calories and time and money.

When I drank the Kraken 94 Proof Rum, the buzz became a drunk that lasted too long and was too severe.

So here I am, knowing that neither choice is worth the money or the time, but, yet I drink. I think that is a big step.

I chose not to drink tonight after thinking about this today and receiving words of encouragement.