Notices

Should I tell my friends I'm in recovery

Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
What's your sponsor suggest?
I asked very early on and he said that he would only suggest that I wait. He didn't say wait a year or any other specified time frame. I haven't brought it up with him lately.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

.The decision on what to share and how much to share is a very individual thing. Some people keep it too themselves, some share a little, some share a lot. I personally fall a little inbetween moderate sharing and boarder on over sharing. I've come to terms with my disease and just as someone with cancer dosen't open with "Hi! I'm Jane and I have Stage 3 breastcancer. How are you?" I don't feel the need to tell people about my disease unless it's pertinent to the situation. My friends all know about my alcoholism because I know they will respect my abstinence at parties and get togethers. Brutal honesty kinda works for me but that's my individual situation.

Sometimes, simply saying "I don't care to drink" or "I don't like the taste of alcohol" or "I've lost my taste for alcohol" will do. Most people won't pry. We often make a bigger deal out of this in our minds than our friends do. If someone's persistant, a simple distraction "I just don't care to drink. By the way, how is your (significant other, children, school, job) going?" People love to talk about themselves!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

I know you can't see it now, but in 25 years you'll look back and know what a great choice you made in staying stoppped. I stopped at age 25, & started & stopped many times in the next 25 years. Professional & successful, until the last several years. Not all of my friends did this, those who stayed stopped have wonderful lives, many are no longer alive, and a few are like me-lost all due to drinking. It does get worse! Or better. I wish you a life full of better.

As for dates, just tell em you don't & won't drink, then compare it to a peanut allergy. If they've seen you drink, let em know you acquired the allergy....