Notices

Staying sober saves money $$$$!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Talking Staying sober saves money $$$$!

I started my road to sobriety in July (had a week relapse in October) and I have noticed another positive thing about staying sober: I started saving money that I would spend on drinking!

I used to spend at least 200 euro's a month on alcohol, junk-food, bars etc. when drinking.

But now, a few months later, the pile of bills next to my desk is almost gone and I am saving money!

Planning on buying a bike for cycling and taking my parents to dinner! I have a long way to go before I repay all my debts to my parents, but it's a start I also finally have some cash for Christmas presents, instead of spending on it booze.

So how do you reward yourself with the cash you now save by staying sober?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I feel rewarded every time I pay my bills on time and in full. Also nice having money for the dogs' needs, vet visits and such.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post, Geralt! It's nice to hear you so happy.

I've been spending my money on cook books, and all the ingredients that go with them.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have any more money, but I am putting two kids through college. That's pretty much where any extra cash goes. However, it's nice to be able to help them.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Geralt.
It is amazing the money spent on booze. That was one of our exercises in rehab. Figure a ballpark number of how much you spent every week on booze. It was taken into consideration some weeks are worse and some weeks were dry -but on average.
Then multiply that yearly number to how many actual years you feel you've been drinking. There is no right number and its just a matter of being honest with yourself.

I spent almost $48,000. drinking $30 a week for 30 years. I could have bought TWO brand new 'reasonable' cars in cash. And that was just a guestimate.

Kinda scary when ya think about it.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i spent almost 2000 dollars on a bender in October so I really notice the difference since I have stopped. I could only imagine what I could have bought with all that money.