Notices

day one

Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one

hi all, well this is my first post on here after finding your site today. i woke up this morning and finally decided enough was enough and that i finally wanted my life back.
unfortunately i had a bit of a setback from the outset as i went online to find my nearest meeting, built up the courage to actually attend and arrived early to the venue only to find the doors locked, i thought i must have arrived to early so sat outside the venue but after 2 hours i gave up.
i then phoned the helpline spoke to a person and left my details for someone to get back to me and when they eventually did i was told that the meeting had closed down approx a month ago.

i dont know why but i really struggled to deal with this, and it really made me feel like somebody somewhere wants me to fail before i start.

i am going again tomorrow to a meeting, so hopefully this time there will be people there
Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry the meeting didn't come off. You did the right thing by making that call. Many of us have.

Congratualtions on wanting to change your life, and I sure hope the meetings work for you.
It sounds like you're ready and taking action. That's a big first step.

I hope your meeting goes well, abd best to you.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to here that...Don't drink over it. Are there no other meetings today where you are?...It is saturday..
Old 12-10-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome paul1664! I can relate. The first meeting I went to was cancelled due to poor attendance. Your doing the right thing by trying again and going to another meeting. Let us know how you make out. Don't be disheartened, you can do this!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

unfortunately none that i can get to as im transportless at the mo, they person who i spoke to on the phone did try and get me a lift but to no avail.

so for tonight im just going to go through this site and just go to bed early
Old 12-10-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't feel discouraged, same thing happened to me yesterday. I felt maybe it was a sign I but I'm going to try again Monday. I hope it works out. best of luck.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul1664 View Post
unfortunately none that i can get to as im transportless at the mo, they person who i spoke to on the phone did try and get me a lift but to no avail.

so for tonight im just going to go through this site and just go to bed early
That's cool...You're in the right spot. Lot of good help here. If you have questions just ask. You can look at it two ways...Somebody wants you to fail...Or what you really need to hear is in that meeting tommorow...Keep positive Paul...And don't drink.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Paul - you'll find a ton of support here

I hope you find a way to a meeting - I knew another guy in the UK who rode the buses for hours to get to meetings, so I guess it shows anythings possible

D
Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Paul
My name is Diana. This is day 4 for me. I too woke up to that feeling that it was time. The meetings are'nt allways available when you need one. I live in a smaller city and I can get to 4 a week that fits my schedule. Fine yourself a sponser even a temporary one. Someone you can call. I love this website. It is probably the reason I'm doing so well. Today was hard and no meeting around. Look inside yourself for strength, and then God when that does'nt work. OR VISE VERSA
Good luck my friend
Diana Day 4
Old 12-10-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. This is a very supportive and informative site. It's helped me stay sober for two years now, and happily so.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful that you found us, Paul. We're all in this together, and we care about you. It's great you've made the decision to get out of jail and have a new life.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry your first meeting didn't work out, at least you didn't drink over it.

I remember trying to get to a meeting one night in early sobriety.

I went to a 7:00 p.m. meeting and when I got there discovered it was a "young people's meeting" (I live in a college town) and I'm over 50. I didn't feel comfortable with that so I checked the AA schedule I had printed out and found another meeting a few miles away scheduled to start at 7:30.

I got to the 7:30 meeting early and sat in my car (typical newbie behavior) watching others go in to see if I knew anybody. The first 12 people to walk in were women, I thought to myself, "what are the odds of that?" and discovered it was a womans only meeting.

So after striking out twice I went home and logged onto Sober Recovery.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul, this site is WONDERFUL. Its the only way I have made it to day 40. I have not tried any meetings, I am chicken to go. So far this site is working and I am sure you will find all the help supportive.

Is there a December2011 thread going that you could hop on? I think it might be good for you to join in on that.

You can do this. Its hard, but you can do it.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

there is Tres

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2011-a-6.html

good place to start Paul
Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you in making the decision to take your life back.
And its great that you found us. This way if a meeting doesn't work out for you -you login right here for support.
When I quit I was in a really small town (pop 1000) They only had one meeting a week and luckily, I was able to have off from work the day of the meeting. So it worked, until my work schedule changed.
When I was feeling 'needy' I'd login here and just read.
Wishing you peace and strength on your new journey.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies, the warm welcome and the messages of support.