Notices

This used to be a huge drinking week for me

Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

This used to be a huge drinking week for me

It was the 'jackpot' of drinking excuses for me.

Holidays!
Stress!
'Busy'!

(love being busy. Awesome excuse to drink after a hard day. Oh the hours I spent drinking my face off making lists!).

This is my second year sober so I am genuinely excited for the Holidays this year. Last year there were a lot of tears. Not necessarily sad but just emotional.

Anyway what prompted my post was looking at my 'to do' list for today. It's long but I have a decent amount done already. I've shopped. My house is clean. Every other year I'd be waking up today with a terrible hangover. Procrastinating cleaning my dirty bathroom. Putting off cooking through my nausea. Putting it all off until the 11th hour and then halfassing it.

But I'm finding that there are enough hours in the day when I don't spend 7 of them drunk . It's easy to get that shopping list crossed off when I can drive after 4pm. My kids can 'help' when I have the patience to manage it.

If I can give some unsolicited advice to newcomers... If this is your first sober Thanksgiving it's OK if you cry a lot. You may not know it now but that will truly be an improvement and even that you'll remember fondly. I cried a ridiculous amount during the holidays last year. It was really as though all the pain was pouring out of my body. But it got out and stayed out

Life is not perfect but I'm clearheaded today looking at my Thanksgiving prep list. I'm 'on track' with my planning. I'm excited for the food tomorrow and being able to read my kids books before bed tomorrow night. Not convincing myself that it's some big 'treat' for them to fall asleep in front of a movie

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome SS, hug

Have a wonderful sober second holiday
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post!!!!

I am new to recovery (23 days today!) and feeling scared about cooking for tomorrow. My usual M.O. would be to be very hung over right now. I would hide a bottle of vodka in the cabinet and have a bottle of wine in the fridge. I would already be into the vodka and around noon start on the wine.

I am about to go down to the kitchen to start cooking/baking SOBER!

I do feel weepy and sad and anxous and, and, and.....but this is so much better than drunk.

Thanks for letting me see that I am just healing and things will only get better....it means alot to this newbie!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Recovery brings so many blessings. Happy Thanksgiving, SSIL!!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the gift of hope. My family is by no means big into drinking, but I'm stressing about how I'll cope with the some family traditions that involve alcohol. On Thanksgiving we always have the first egg nog (with alcohol of course) and bourbon slushes. I'm sure that I'm making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. Surely others in the family didn't pour bourbon in their egg nog, but they some how escaped my notice.

Thanks again and congratulations.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving SSIL75

D
Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving, SSIL75.

And thank you so much for your post. It really hit home. I'm so looking forward to the holidays this year with a clear head.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You Rock, SSIL.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post.I'm very new in recovery,and full of anxiety.There are so many things to be thankful for!!!1.Being clean & sober.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Many times on Thanksgiving morning I'd be hungover. Today, I played 3 sets of tennis before 10 a.m. With that amount of physical activity I can now justify sitting on my butt, eating alot and watching football. A much better way to live.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you do much for this post. Weird feelings today. Yep. Don't really want to be drunk but I really want a drink in my hand. Really want one there but there's not one there. Just want to make it through today
Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is my first Holiday season in a long time without a brutal series of hangovers from all the super heavy winter beers. I've saved enough money from not drinking since Halloween to take my family out to a fancy restaurant for Thanksgiving. I won't be ordering myself any drinks. There will be nothing black about this Friday except my coffee.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy T-day, SSIL!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

GREAT GREAT post