Notices

Day 7

Old 11-13-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

Interestingly today is the hardest so far. Sitting around watching the game. But I've made it a week. Definitely survived some cravings, but knowing I had this groups' support made all the difference.

I find that I compensate by eating a bit more than I should. Actually when I was drinking that caused me to eat even more, but now without drinking, I still feel an urge to console/compensate for frustration, and now I do that with a piece of cake or candy. Anyone else have this experience, and should I be patient with this, or shut it down? I need to lose weight. I'm not gaining, but not yet losing. Is this the kind of think where I should not worry about weight for a few weeks until my sobriety is more established?

Thanks and god bless you one and all.

Shamus
Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do it too. Replace the snacks with healthy stuff. Stock your kitchen with healthy snacks. And don't feel bad about eating more; think about all the calories and carbs you're saving from non alcohol consumption. It's all good.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 7 was hard for me too. I'm at 11 now and I have bad times - but not whole days.

Hang in there,
Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Shamus. Someone told me about cravings and killing them with sweets and stuff. I found it very helpful to have a boiled lollie half and hour before my usual drinking times. Over time that has morphed into eating chocolate and a certain ice cream. It is now a bit of a habit but not a big drama. Despite this my diet in general is a lot better (I used to crave salty and fatty foods) and I have lost about 4.5kg. I look much healthier, have more energy etc
Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oreos!!!

I had a sugar craving every since I went on a program of recovery. I don't fight it. I was never dessert after dinner person. Beer and chocolate cake never mixed lol.

I think our body and mind crave a replacement for alcohol. There is always cake or cookies at my home AA group.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats on the 7 days

I have just finished 4 days myself unfortunatly it the thrid time since June.

But I also get those cravings enjoy some but try to replace them with healthy options also get and excerise it feels good mentally and great for the body.

Keep up the good work
Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Shamus, good job so far! Hang in there -- I bet the cravings and sugar issues will subside the longer you stay off the alcohol.

If you're not gaining right now, that's good. So why not add a daily walk or some other exercise you enjoy? I'm finding that a little exercise also goes a long way toward normalizing my appetite.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

On day 20 and eating non-stop! Quite the reverse of my weeks long binges where I'd eat virtually nothing so maybe one makes up for lost calories... anyway, I'm actually trying to balance out between some healthy choices (fruits, veggies, chicken breast, etc.) and comfort foods (popcorn, vinegar chips, cookies, coca-cola, etc.) So far, it seems to be working (to the benefit of my mental state anyway) not getting the normal urges to drink like I was and not completely down in the dumps about not being able to drink anymore. I think as time goes on I will curb the junk food and move more toward mostly healthy as I don't think giving up one problem should beget another.

Keep yer head up, you're doing the right thing!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OK. Today is my day 8 which should also be your day 8 so I'm following you!