Notices

Back and Ashamed -

Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and Ashamed -

Day 4...sheesh. I was doing well earlier this year had over 3 months sobriety and then a new member was born into our family and well, I just had to celebrate that birth. That little celebration lasted the next 5 months. To show for it - I have gained 15 pounds, my skin is all red, I am bloated. I managed to make a fool of myself several times over the summer (drunk typing) - one where I fell flat on my face and cut my eyebrow (requiring stitches). 4 nights ago I stayed at a friends house - woke up in the morning and couldn't quite remember what I had done. I was gravely ill (but managed not to puke). I shakily drove home and had a horrible day "recovering".

OK - day 4.

Things to keep telling myself - I like waking up feeling good and not worrying about what I might have drunkenly typed the night before.

Thanks for listening.
Genie
Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Genie! I am sorry you are having to go through this. But it doesn't sound like there's any reason why you can't pick right back up where you left off with your three months of sobriety. I am only 16 days in myself and am always discovering things to keep telling myself to keep from drinking again. Here are just a few:

What you said (no more worries about drunk texting/typing which was brutal)
No more of that crippling depression that usually follows a night of drinking
No more passing out in the bed - the REM sleep I have experienced since sobering up has been wonderful.
No more bloat
Weight literally falls back off
Skin evens back out and looks younger, clearer
Never any questions/blank spots about what happened the night before which can be terrifying
Being able to really enjoy things without the urge to drink into oblivion dominating every good experience I should have been having

Those are really just a few good reasons and I hope you can relate. Thank you for sharing this with us and take care of yourself.

Hugs,
WK
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks WK - I made a list of things that I won't miss from drinking awhile back on this forum. I should go search for it and read it again.

Well, at least winter is here again. Oddly, I find winter easier for not drinking, whereas summer is difficult because it's so nice to sit out on the deck and sip wine (well in my case swill).

I only have 2 pairs of jeans that fit now. :-(

I live out in the country and am very isolated - drinking wine in the afternoons was a way to get rid of the boredom and loneliness (excuses).

I will be reaching out to this community a lot!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Genie,

I'm sorry that you've had a rough time, but it's good to see you back.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back Genie!

It's hard to imagine that a "celebratory" glass of wine could be any big deal, but the same disastrous results happened to me, too. I relapsed twice (after a good bit of sobriety), and stayed out there for a lot longer than 5 months. I have a new respect for this disease this time around.

Give yourself some credit for coming back. I think we've all been humbled by alcohol - I know I have.

Be good to yourself and take it one day at a time.......
Old 11-13-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. Do you have a plan in place this time around?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back and hang in there. I live in the country too and I know what you mean about sitting out with a glass of wine.

I think I need to really assess what I liked about sitting out. Was it the wine? Was it the sun? The quiet? I (we) need to give ourselves what we need without killing ourselves.

Day 8 for me. I'm pretty happy about it. Hang in there.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Alcohol can steal all our pleasant mental / emotional associations. In the "life without alcohol is dull" story we "forget" that sitting in the sun at peace can be miraculous. If you are bored get a book or a kindle with all the money you will save not drinking !! (LOL)
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome back. Do you have a plan in place this time around?
One day at a time. Read this forum and reach out when I am about to stumble.