Notices

Day 11 and Struggling...

Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 and Struggling...

...with freaking sweets!!! I'm not a big sweets eater but man the last four or five days I've been all in my daughters Halloween Candy and she's starting to get mad!!! Is this normal, hopefully this will go away otherwise I'm never going to loose this beer belly!!!

As far as alcohol, the thoughts come daily but it hasn't been that difficult to surpress them when I shift focus on something else like the hangover I'll have the next day, how much I'm enjoying being sober and not having to work my butt off at getting drunk, cooking dinner, helping my kiddo with homework, etc...

Tonight's usually my drinking night and it was much easier than last week, I know this weekend's going to be a tough one as the Wurstfest (I live in a German Town and it's an annual 10 day celebration of sausage and beer) is wrapping up. This Saturday is traditionally a day to get togther with friends from all over and spend the day at Wurstfest getting trashed all day. I'm determined to not give in but I gotta focus on tomorrow first.

I hope everyone is staying strong!!!

Thanks for all the awesome support, it's been extremely helpful!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tommy, I think the sweets thing is very normal. The same thing happened to me! I'm on day 38, and I noticed that my sugar cravings were bad for the first couple weeks and then started to subside. Of course, I just ate a million peppermint Oreos, so maybe I'm wrong. Oh well. The sweets might have calories and make me bounce off the walls for a little while, but at least they won't make me act like too much of an idiot, get a DUI, or not remember the night before.

Best of luck to you. It sounds like you are doing well so far. Keep it up!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

It is totally normal, but don't do like I did....gaining 50 lbs when I got sober! It was hard for me to lose as I am getting older.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the sweets thing is pretty common Tommy - it certainly got me.

As much as I like German sausage (and I do) if it's a boozefest kinda thing on the weekend, maybe you ought to reconsider going?

At least have a plan of action/escape if things get too much...

D
Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm definitely replacing booze with food a bit. But I'm going easy on myself-it's better than the million empty calories from alcohol I was ingesting when I was drinking. No matter what we're eating, it's healthier than the constant poison we were putting in our bodies before right?

As far as the German fest, geez that's a tough one. There's nothing an alcoholic likes better than to blend in for once while getting wasted in public. As much as it might suck, I might seriously consider skipping it, especially so early on. Or at least go in with a DEFINITE time limit, that you're accountable for. Stay in and watch movies or something, eat a big ol' bag of candy. I skipped Halloween this year, which is my FAVORITE time of year, and I hated it, but it was sooooo worth it when I got through the weekend without drinking. Today is lucky 13 days for me. You have to put not drinking FIRST. A german beer fest does not qualify. There will be another one next year when you're more solid in your sobriety, and your friends will forgive you for not being there. Anyway just my two cent's worth!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This post made me laugh considering I just ate a bag of M&Ms and a rice crispy treat for lunch... Let's see I have done early soberity several times before (and this will be my last)... and yeah... everytime the sweet craving kicks in early on.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too craved sweets in the beginning, not so much now but I am happily addicted to dark chocolate... I was told that it's the body missing all the sugar in the alcohol. All I know for sure is that I stopped craving sweets after a few weeks as my system got more normal.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ditto on the craving sweets and gaining weight. I also quit smoking so the tastebuds starting to work made it anything I could eat and I ballooned. I was a mintaholic for six months before I could get off the starlite mints.

I can lose the weight , but I can't lose lung cancer so I am working on losing now. It is much easier if you can keep it off to start.

I lived in Germany for 7 years with the Air Force and was also in San Antone and been to your town/s for fests and Stinky Falls too. I would just go and get some wursts to go and have a private party with other non-drinkers or non-drinkers by arrangement for that day with some cold sodas to wash them down. Oh man! What I wouldn't give for a real Swankbrat now.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Wurstfest huh? Are they banning alcohol on the Guadalupe for sure Tommy? I might actually go...SOBER. Sweets is one thing I cant keep my hands off too, it has to be the lack of the usual sugar from the beer. Anyway, great job. Best wishes.