Notices

Benzo relapse or failed taper?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Benzo relapse or failed taper?

I failed my Valium taper plan today but I don't really know what to make of it. Short summary, since beginning 2011 I tapered off from 30 mg to 7,5 mg Valium daily using the Ashton Manual taper method. But at that time I was also binge drinking. I quit drinking 24 days ago and also discussed a Valium taper plan with my doctor. My doctor advised me a much faster taper plan than recommended by Ashton Manual. My dose went down from 7,5 mg to 5 mg 2 weeks ago and 2,5 mg today. Ashton recommends a drop to 6 mg. But today I couldn't stand the symptoms and took 7,5 mg, my original dose.

Right now I have basically over 50% of the symptoms that occur from benzo withdrawal. Anxiety, impaired concentration, small muscular spasms in my legs and arms, amnesia, dry mouth, flu like symptoms, I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks, no appetite at all, distorted smell and sounds, increased urinary frequency, numbness and tingling all over my body, a strange hot/cold sweat in the morning and after exercise, I wake up a dozens time, feelings of unreality. The worst is the tingling all over my body and the amnesia. I have to write everything down or I will forget it. Some days are blanks, I can't remember what I did, I have a lost feeling of time and space.

Ok, I don't have the very serious symptoms like high blood pressure, hallucinations and seizures but that's basically the end station to end up in the ER.

Going to talk to my doctor tomorrow, not sure what to do, now that I took the 7,5 mg I feel a bit better. I am most worried about the fast weight loss and the amnesia. I think my focus should be on staying sober as alcohol can and will kill me and benzo's won't. Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Your best bet is to talk to the dr who advised you with his taper plan, and let him know what happened.

Whether the pills or alcohol are worse, I don't know.

Hopefully you can get some answers tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna, Geralt.
I think both booze and benzos are pretty dangerous- it's good you're consulting with a professional tomorrow

D