Notices

drinking in the morning

Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

i drank morning noon and night. i would wake at 3am and stumble to my hidden bottle and take shots and throw them up until i could keep them down and the shaking and heaving subsided just so i could throw myself back into bed and hopefully pass out for just a couple more hours. i drank so i could sleep, i drank so i could wake up, drank so i could eat, drank just to drink again.

it gives me a sick feeling just remembering that desperation and all-consuming physical agony of drinking and vomiting straight vodka in a desperate attempt to get enough into my bloodstream to quell the smallest fraction of the suffering but only keep the cycle going.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
belac

Oh I am so grateful I do not have to live like this anymore. I had to drink 24/7 I would wake up every two hours going through withdrawls so bad that I shook the entire bed while trying to roll over to grab my 440z cup full of vodka to ease me and allow me to sleep for 2 more hours I did this for the last 3 years of my drinking. I drank in the morning I drank in the afternoon and night I drank 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 years. When I would run out of vodka in the middle of the night I would go into my bathroom and fight with the rubbing alcohol bottle and the rubbing alcohol bottle always won!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

A great many alcoholics talk about the tipping point in their illness. Tipping point defined as the event that took place somewhere between 'before', and 'after' alcohol took control of their lives. In my entire life of progressive heavy drinking I would never touch booze in the daytime at all. Back then, those who drank during the day always made me feel pity. I would think "my God that is truly pathetic, poor thing". I also looked at morning drinking and felt quietly disgusted at the sight. I was sure I'd never drink in the AM. Absolutely positive I'd never get that bad.

It took just one morning 6 years ago, as I woke up in my hotel room to a phone call with some very bad news - that's when I saw a half full bottle of Jack next to my bed and just took a drink to ease the pain. I think it was 9 am. By the time 10 am rolled around that half-bottle was gone and I had phoned room service for another.

That morning was without a doubt the tipping point for me. The switch was forever flipped on that day. Many can't remember the exact moment they lost control of their lives to booze, and for many it wasn't a single tipping point event, but more a slow progression. I know painfully well that it was on that morning when I picked up the bottle and drank first thing in the AM by choice, that's exactly when I had lost control of booze and went from problem drinker to full bore alcoholic. After that point, my boozing was an all day every day event. First thing in the morning? Most definitely. Towards the end stages of my alcoholism I was pouring a massive glass of vodka and downing it before I even got up from bed and then more massive glasses every 20 minutes after, until I blacked out or passed out.

Hell, at the end of my rotten alcoholism if I was conscious and not hospitalized, I was pouring booze down my throat.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your honesty. It helps me understand better the kind of hell my godmother went through before she got sober, and the hell my father is still currently going through, and maybe my brother too.

Now I understand the alcoholic getting up in the middle of the night during a visit and rummaging around for booze to drink in the cabinets. Now I understand why a fifth or two of whiskey was always packed in the alcoholic's suitcase during all trips.

It also makes me feel blessed to be on the other end of the country and no longer a witness to the suffering and chaos that I was witness to, for so many years. I am no longer a hostage.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Interesting how many variations of this illness that there are. I was never able to drink during the day. Anytime I tried, and it was rare, I would just get really tired and depressed and want to take a nap. After 7 p.m. though, alcohol would have the opposite effect, I would feel wired and exhuberant (for the first hour or two anyway) and then all of the usual horrors would ensue and I would normally drink until I passed out.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

During the early morning hours I would sometime resort to various household items to ward off the withdrawals. I do believe though that once morning drinking occurs than alcoholism has set in.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Whiteknuckles...I also used to get sleepy if I drank during the day...however when it got really bad I didn't care...if I got sleepy I'd sleep then wake up and start over.

Nightmare!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Odd.. I used to feel really tired when I got home from work until I was able to get a few drinks in me -- then I'd completely perk up. It felt a lot like when I was a smoker and I hadn't had a smoke in several hours.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I didnt drink every morning...just the days I have off. I work a 2-2-3 shift..on nights. Its easy to hide from people when they think you are sleeping in the basement when really you are either passing out..or waking up to sneek a drink from the fridge just to pass out again. I'm just starting to stop. My side is hurting, im done with it. not healthy!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR acsnopro

I really recommend you see a Dr. about your side - best to be safe

D
Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zxcirce View Post
i drank morning noon and night. i would wake at 3am and stumble to my hidden bottle and take shots and throw them up until i could keep them down and the shaking and heaving subsided just so i could throw myself back into bed and hopefully pass out for just a couple more hours. i drank so i could sleep, i drank so i could wake up, drank so i could eat, drank just to drink again.

it gives me a sick feeling just remembering that desperation and all-consuming physical agony of drinking and vomiting straight vodka in a desperate attempt to get enough into my bloodstream to quell the smallest fraction of the suffering but only keep the cycle going.
Vodka was my DOC. It's the worst because you really couldn't smell it and you can put it in a water bottle and sip it and no-one would know. So I thought anyway.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
Vodka was my DOC. It's the worst because you really couldn't smell it and you can put it in a water bottle and sip it and no-one would know. So I thought anyway.

Right. So you thought. But it comes out of your pores if you drink enough of it. I've been nabbed that way before.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

For those of you who would just drink all day and wake up and drink more and disappear from the world from 2-3 days at a time, I am assuming you lived alone, had no job, and had no other responsibilities? Sometimes I think my job and other familial responsibilities were the only things keeping me from several day benders.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by simplyfab View Post
My alcoholism got so bad, that drinking was the last thing I did before I passed out and the first thing I did when I woke up.
Simply hell!
Same here. There were days when I'd wake up, immediately start drinking. End up passing out, wake back up drink more, "sleep", and sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and have another drink to help me go back to sleep then do it all again...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Memories! Vodka in my water bottle, under the bed, in my pillowcase, in the bathroom, ready for me when I had the shakes any time of day or night. Ahh, that warm feeling that calmed the DT's. My work is perfect for a drinker, so I felt free to drink all day, everyday. I had the "flu" now & then though, so work was compromised at times. If I finished my stash early ( panic)! I would head to 1 of the 2 corner stores ( I too rotated my sources) & with shaky hand would sign for my relief. Rarely " drunk", just surviving. Day 13, now truly relieved.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

First thing in the morning, every morning. Extra tall screwdrivers, mostly vodka or gin with just enough OJ to make it not clear. This was assuming I didn't have any leftover wine from the night before, in which case I'd go through my "clean up routine" of chugging whatever was left. Sometimes I would pass out for an hour or two, then wake up and pour another. I would always by handles of the cheapest booze and boxes of wine so I never ran out. Whenever a "special occasion" would roll around, I would buy tons more for "the guests" and would drink that much more until the next holiday. I also found that drinking was replacing my meals, no more breakfast and lunch was usually handfuls of chips or some other salty treat which would of course lead to another glass. When my wife would come home from work, I would immediately switch to either beer or wine (whichever went best with dinner) in hopes that it would cover up my days drinking. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. When I was caught, I just said it was a rough day and apologized, and did the same thing the next day.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimFoot View Post
For those of you who would just drink all day and wake up and drink more and disappear from the world from 2-3 days at a time, I am assuming you lived alone, had no job, and had no other responsibilities? Sometimes I think my job and other familial responsibilities were the only things keeping me from several day benders.
Tim, I can't speak for others but in my case you'd be assuming wrong. When I first fell off the deep end I still had a wife, a son, and a demanding career which was netting me serious money and even more serious responsibilities. Even had an industry periodical describe me as being a "go-to guy", and someone "on top of his game". Ha. Funny. That will forever crack me up.

All these things and more ended up just distractions, issues that got in the way of my all consuming desire to be drunk. As a result of my alcoholism, within a period of 6 years there's nothing on that list I still lay any claim to. I'm still married of course, but in name only.

As for you thinking that these things can keep you from hard core screw ups? Sure they do... until they don't anymore. My life and responsibilities kept me from the last stages of my illness as long as it could, but inevitably my dis-ease won and as a result anything that stood in the way of my boozing was broken down over time, eventually destroyed.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Drinking in the morning is a clear sign that you are an alcoholic, but not drinking in the morning sadly isn't a clear sign that you aren't.

I still clearly remember the first time I ever drank in the morning. It was wonderful. I spent the next 15 years chasing that feeling and failing to find it. By the end, I had to drink a bottle of wine just to stop convulsing and throwing up.

But as others have said, the days when I drank in the evenings and held down a job were no less alcoholic than my end days. The obsession defines my alcoholism, not the times or the quantities.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Indeed, drinking in the morning is an abnormal behavior that indicates your body's desire for more alcohol. Why not start looking for rehab? Fix the problem while it is still small.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I looked forward to days off because if I woke up sooner than I wanted to I could take a couple of shots and go back to bed for a few more hours. But I never drank in the mornings when I had to be someplace.