Notices

Need help bad

Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yep, the sleeping sucks for a lot of people, especially at first. Haven't read every Post here, but I hope you have found some resources to help you. Good luck and congrats on the sober time.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Dean, it's great you're stopped now but if you're like me you've stopped before. And felt guilty and fearful before. That doesn't seem to be enough of a defense for very long as I wound up with plenty of other troubles unrelated to my 4 dwis and nothing happened bad enough to get between me and my next drink. I've not seen anyone who stayed sober just because bad things happened to them, they all drank again if they were trying on their own to stay stopped.

Find some sober people and do everything they are doing to stay that way, especially the things you don't want to do because you don't like to do those kinds of things at all.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dean,
I'm new here myself but have already found this place to be so important I don't think I could get by without it. I guess I'm not much in a situation to be giving advice but the one thing I'd like to tell you is if you do nothing else at all PLEASE stay here, read through the posts. It was only after reading through other posts did I realize I was NOT the only person to do or think the things I have.

I once was so drunk I thought the oncoming headlights were heading straight for me, (they weren't). Traveling at over 60 miles per hour I sharply veered off the road. Missed a telephone poll by only inches, hit a ditch. My SUV flipped end over end 3 times and rolled about 5 times. I don't how but I was okay. The worst part of that was I didn't even know if I ran the other car of the road and may have killed someone for MY actions. Thank God I didn't and It was just a one car accident but until I found that out I almost couldn't live with myself. In over 40 years of being an alcoholic I have NO idea how I've never got a DUI.... I'm sure it was only luck which I'm also sure is running out.

PLEASE, ...... stay here long enough to read through as many other peoples story as you can..... It's really helped me.

Hang in there and stay strong. You have a lot of people here rooting for you.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dean, I'm glad you're here. As difficult as it is for you right now, it will get better and brighter. You will see more and more clearly as you stick to your plan to be sober and sane.

Be strong! And no matter what happens, don't tempt fate by ever driving drunk again.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I'm doing pretty good. I cannot afford another DUI or to hurt myself or some innocent person. I just keep telling myself that everyday. I have let my friends and family know my decision to stay sober and they have been supportive. I know it has not been very long yet but I am feeling good and taking it one day at a time. My DUI has cost me dearly basically ruined my career for at least 5 years from what I'm being told. I just can't do it any more this site is great I have been reading many stories and it helps a lot. I have been feeling some depression though and that sucks. I am just trying to think positive everyday and hoping that I can find work soon. I have been on unemployment for 1 year 3 months I have applied for so many jobs and have been denied many time's it's really hard. And with a DUI on my record there are many jobs I cannot even apply for. I know some have said to seek professional help I just don't like AA I did while I was going through my DUI program. And I am just not financially in a position to seek out these very expensive 90 day programs. I watch the show intervention when its on I like it make's me tell myself don't be like that look what it does. Any way thanks for kind words I am trying to stay strong with this disease I have.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Had a good friend who had 4 DUIs before he was 25. This was over ten years ago and to date he still does not have his license back. Not sure how I never got one either, drove by the police department drunk coming back from the bar almost every night for 6 or 7 years. Yet another sign that it was time to stop as everyone's luck runs out eventually. I'm recently unemployed myself after 17 years with the same company. Not going to say alcohol didn't contribute either. It's really a blessing in disguise as my former employer was one of my enablers. Stick with it, I plan to and I know you can to.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
AzM

I'm not any further along than you (day 6) but know what you mean about AA. I went to a few different places and found one that fits great. The first was more of a click where everyone knew each other and had their "thing". Another was like a room full of any hung over homeless person they could drag in and preach to. But I found one with cool, friendly people that simply share the same problem and that is all it takes to be a part of the group.

You may want to keep looking. It's helping me a lot.