Notices

What a suprise, another relapse.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

(((hugs))))
I know the withdrawl part is what kept me drinking on many occasions. I finally realized to not be so hard on myself and to put my "detox" first, made it the most important thing for me. Maybe this isn't such a good idea, but I would buy a small (half pint) of rum, LOTS of gatorade and something to help me sleep. I would take small amounts of the rum, LOTS of gatorade and just sleep. If I couldn't sleep, which is part of the withdrawl, I would take something to help me, like benedryl. Thats what I did, and it worked. Of course it took a few days. But until I could get sober I couldn't stay sober. Once off the booze this last time i started taking antabuse and hitting meetings and hanging out here on SR. So far so good on day 11.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to slam you alaska.. but that's a really bad idea. Mixing two depressants (alcohol and sleep aids) can be deadly. I made this mistake once and ended up taking too many sleeping pills while drunk.. I'm lucky I woke up at all.

As Dee said once, insomnia is a natural part of withdrawal. It sucks hardcore, but eventually you -will- sleep.. a lot. This may happen a few times in cycles, but the longer you stay off, the more your sleeping patterns will even out.

Dominica, if you are even slightly worried about having serious withdrawal symptoms, you probably need to do detox. But first, no matter what road you take, you need to talk to your doctor and tell him -everything-. He won't judge you and will be in the best position to give you the very best advice for your recovery.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I drank 23 beers last night and feel terrible today. I would like to say I am a functioning alcoholic

Functioning would not be a word I would use to describe myself the morning after drinking 23 beers. I'm sure you feel like crap today.

The good news is that you don't need to feel this way ever again, as long as you don't drink. It's going to be hard work, but you can do it. If you are open to AA then go to a meeting (or two) today.

And don't just sit in the back row and not say anything. Speak up and ask if someone in the group will be your temporary sponsor.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I drank 23 beers last night and feel terrible today. I would like to say I am a functioning alcoholic

Functioning would not be a word I would use to describe myself the morning after drinking 23 beers. I'm sure you feel like crap today.
I agree with Zebra, you may still be breathing but nobody deserves to live that way. I am in pain for you.

I hope you get some help. Reach out to the actual (not virtual) resources around you. Many of us need a hand getting a start on getting clean. There's nothing wrong with getting some outside help. Nobody is going to give you a medal for doing this on your own.

Much love.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
I dont have any health insurance, so rehab is something I will have to look into.
Denver Rescue Mission
Old 10-18-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MrAverage;3141289]I'm not trying to slam you alaska.. but that's a really bad idea. Mixing two depressants (alcohol and sleep aids) can be deadly. I made this mistake once and ended up taking too many sleeping pills while drunk.. I'm lucky I woke up at all.
QUOTE]

I agree. It maybe wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but I knew if I went through another night of insomnia I would either drink again or kill myself, those hours in the middle of the night were full of terror. I did wait until about 12 or more hours after my last drink until I took the benedryl. And I had been tapering off the alcohol. I dont know, the whole thing sucked.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When you go to rehab they give you librium or diazapam (Valium)/and/or phenobarbitol to come off of alcohol, but this is in a VERY controlled environment and MUST NOT be mixed with alcohol, but it does take the edge off and makes you just sleep thru it. Also, can you apply for medical assistance? That way, if you go to rehab, it may be covered, and also, it won't be on a private insurance as a 'pre-existing condition' lest you ever need to apply for a new policy, but I dunno the laws in TX, some states you can't be denied for pre-exisiting. But you could also call your local hospitals, see if any of them have a detox, and then see if you could go on some sort of sliding scale payment plan, which ypou would only have to pay a percentage of the entire bill, in payments, based on your income. It's usually called 'charitable care' and done through the billing office. Regardless, if you go to an ER at a hospital that has a detox, and say you are detoxing from alcohol and tell them you've been drinking a case of beer a night, they cannot turn you away whether you have insurance or not. You may try calling around first though to local hospitals and explain your situation and try applying for medical assistance through the state assistance office in your area. Good luck
Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by omegasupreme View Post
We(those of us who have recovered) have a precise, clear-cut set of instructions that if you are willing to follow...will give you permanent sobriety...and you never (yup, that's right, never) have to worry about another relapse.

The question is: "Are you willing little sister?"

But what are those instructions?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I agree! My body had to learn how to fall aseep naturally not pass out! It took about a week for me.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dominica, I do urge you to apply for medical assistance, the worst is you will be denied. In the meantime, call your local hospitals and see if they have a detox...see if you can get a 'sliding scale' based on your income or charitable care...what you need at the very least is a controlled detox and then meetings but a detox with aftercare or a rehab would be best...it may be a process...don't despair, you can do this, for you, for your daughter, many hugs and much lick to you, I am going through a similiar situation but for like, 10 years, so trust me, it may get better, but unlikely, didn't for me no matter how much I tried! So much love towards you
Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndreTT View Post
But what are those instructions?
Those instructions are the Doctor's Opinion-page 164 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.