Notices

Change of plans and I start tommorrow

Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Change of plans and I start tommorrow

So I had posted earlier during the week and said that I decided to do detox. After talking with my doctor she felt I needed detox but their was also another alternative since I have some issues with childcare that will not allow me to attend detox for the amount of days I need. She did blood work and wants to start me on Antabuse. She prescribed me Alprazolam to help with anxiety. We decided that I would detox at home starting tomorrow. My kids will be gone the weekend and Monday. She told me to take Alprazolam twice a day Friday, Sat, Sun and Mon. She gave me a referral to a hospital in case I cant handle the withdrawals on the week end.The hospital would basically check me out and do what ever they need to do. I have a brother and friend that knows whats going on and they have said they will call a few times a day to check on me.

I am very nervous about this and wanted to know if anyone else has done this. Is their anything that I should get that I will need?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Would you and brother or friend be able to make plans so that you would be with them either at your place or theirs? Even though I made poor company, it was a great comfort just to have someone else in the house.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never did an assisted home detox, sark - but I think freshstarts idea of having people round is a good one

D
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would get a couple of good books, plenty of tasty beverages and teas, some soup, and make your bed as comfy as possible. Basically prepare yourself as if you found out you are getting the flu this weekend. Good luck. It's not an enjoyable experience but generally by day 3 or 4 most people, including myself, feel pretty good. At least better than a hangover.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Only from my experience (rules say we can't give you med advice, so the following is just my own personal experiences detoxing at home)

I have detoxed on my own at home a few times in the past...but this can be very dangerous. You should have someone there with you, I never did alone. Go to hospital if you are shaking badly, etc because you can have seizures...they understand and will help you through it.

The Alprazolam helped me with calming and through the 1st days. The only thing the antabuse will do is make you sick as h*ll if you drink alcohol (even some deodorants containing alcohol can make your body react and get sick, be careful of the products you are using when on this med). I would NOT DRINK alch. if you have that in your system, it is BAD!

I drank lots and lots of fluids, Vitamin Water is the best IMO.. (Revive, fruit punch is the best IMO, it has C, B5, B3, B6, B12, Potassium and electrolytes). I also took Vitamins, B, D, C, Multi and ate fruit as much as I could.

1st day will be the roughest, mind-wise and physical symptoms, all depends on how much you have been drinking. 2nd and 3rd day will be much, much easier, by day 3-4 you should be feeling great.

Stay positive...don't talk yourself into making it worse than it really is. I truly believe you can talk yourself into feeling better, and worse. I have seen some people just have one day of feeling bad because of their positive attitude...and others fall out because they convince themselves it will be so bad. Stay positive.

Proud of you! FWIW. You CAN do this! One day at a time.

STAY POSITIVE! Try to have someone with you, it would be best.

Good luck. Welcome to the world of recovery! It is a much better way of living, I promise you that!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wont be haveing someone with me but I will be checking in with people and they will be checking in with me. Its the best I could do. I also have a referrel to the hospital from my doc in case i feel really bad.

I am actually worried about taking Antabuse. I was reading about it last night. I use face cleaners and mouthwash with alchohol. Will i not be able to anymore if i am taking the meds?

Thank you all for your input. You are all great.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

skip the mouthwash and just brush your teethextra if you are concerned.

keeping your head busy is good, also if you are up to it try a short 10 min. walk.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I had no physical dependence, withdrawal was minimal. No drama needed. Keep someone around, watch tv & drink fluids & eat small meals-like having a cold ir mini flu.

You'll be okay!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope everything will be ok. I will try to keep busy. I think the medication will put me out for a few hours as well. Maybe i will catch up on some much needed sleep.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

How much are you drinking, sark? Your withdrawal might not be that bad!!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started off drinking about 4 beers a day. Then I had started drinking vodka. Did not really keep track of that but it was alot. I usually just pour an amount in a glass and mix it with something. Then it was both beer and Vodka. Been a daily drinker since March. Have tried to stop many times but was unsuccessful. I have know people to drink more than me and be ok after stopping with mild symptoms but my doctor told me that everyone's body is different. I am hoping my symptoms will be mild.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It is true everyone is different! Wishing you the best. Remember you'll never have to deal with this again. Relief!!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes very true. I am going to stick with it no matter what. I am tired of feeling crappy and my kids deserve better.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by sark
my kids deserve better.
yes they do! It is the single most important thing I have ever done for my kids.

I hope you are feeling ok today hang tight!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm really proud of you, sark. You'll feel a little better every day. Hang in there.

xo,
kc
Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all again for the support. I will post tommorrow and let you guys know how the night went.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Best wishes on your detox. I also did the vodka/beer combo when beer was no longer enough. Vodka is nasty stuff.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hope your de tox is smooth......just don't hesitate to go to that ER.

Please read this....it has useful info and some of our expereinces with de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I used no med's for de tox...I did take antabuse w/o a problem until I drank with it.
I only had a split of champagne hours after my dose..I was on the lowest.
it made me so violently quickly ill....I did quit the drug.
A few months later...I did re start my sobreity journey without it...

Last edited by CarolD; 10-08-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Thinking of you this morning.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sark,

There are non-alcohol mouthwashes and other products. You just have to look for them a little bit. Good luck and let us know how you are.