Notices

Update

Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Update

Thanks for all the support so far, its been amazing! Just wanted to share the positives. I'm on day 4. I was horribly concerned about perm liver damage and went to the Dr. She was adament my liver was completely fine and that I was just being paranoid. So that was a relief. In addition, I have strep throat so that goes a long way to explaining my "withdrawl" symptoms.

Realize getting the clean bill of health is almost a speed bump in quitting because as others have mentioned, its so easy to fall back into that mindset "I'm young and I was just over-reacting, I can definitely still drink." Trying to realize why I'm quitting isn't for my health next month or next year but for years down the road.

Sending postiive thoughts to all of you. Found that going for a long walk with my dogs really helps fight the boredom cravings I experience.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear

Walks really help me..
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea I agree ed. Something else that helped me is getting on my bicycle. I get it back from the shop tomorrow, but last time I tried to quit nothing was better than early morning ride. I would do about 2 hrs of hard cycling and bask in being out in nature alone with the sunrise and plenty of deer and other wildlife. Just really realizing how beautiful our world is and how I want to be around for a long time to truly appreciate it! Like I said I'm sending positive thoughts your way, keep it up!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm really glad your doctor was reassuring...... I understand the catch-22 though!

Just remind yourself that quitting now (before things get worse) is something to feel good about and be proud of. If we listen to our addiction, there will always be ways of justifying "just one more drink/drunk," whether it's a good medical report, a lack of certain consequences, something bad happening in our life, a party, whatever....... Only we can decide at what point we're going to stop believing we can get away with keeping alcohol in our life.

When I first stopped drinking, I did a lot of reading on alcoholism and found out that it affects every organ in the body (more alcoholics actually die of heart attacks than cirrhosis). We probably don't know how much damage drinking does to us until we end up in the hospital. So good for you for stopping now....... Keep up the good work!:day6
Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the news was good
I fell for the overreacting thing many many times - the thing is ddrayer - and I'm sure you know this - you're not overreacting....

You're lucky that you have no lasting health issues tho...don't squander that luck

D
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee! I know, I was tempted this afternoon and just thought to myself "what the hell are you doing, you were that worried obviously nothing is worth that fear"