Notices

Found this site today - I think I'm ready

Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found this site today - I think I'm ready

I've been drinking more than I should for several years now and have unsuccessfully tried to cut back many times. I am really sick of living this way! I know I deserve better and my family definitely deserves better from me.

I want to stop drinking from today forward but I am very concerned about the withdrawal process. Specifically I'm worried about having a seizure (one of the reasons I have been putting off quitting). I drink about one bottle of wine, sometimes more sometimes less, every night. I know a lot of people will tell me to see my doctor but I am very concerned to do that. I am a healthcare professional and don't want to be reported and have my license taken.

Can anyone tell me what to expect with the withdrawal process? Specifically I'm interested in a timeline sort of description. I know it can be different for everyone but any idea of what to expect would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome Lizzer. The withdrawal process is definitely different for everyone and while I can understand your concern about losing your license, I would still encourage you to see a doctor. (Wouldn't HIPAA prevent the doctor from reporting you? I'm not familiar enough with the regulations). Detox is wayyyy more comfortable with meds. Without giving any medical advice, I can tell you that for me, the first two days were pretty awful physically (shakes, sweats, upset stomach and what I can only describe as a full body cramp); couldn't sleep, couldn't eat. After that, I felt pretty close to okay physically, but I was still all over the place emotionally (mostly anxiety, dread, depression and anger, but plenty of other stuff mixed in) for about a week. For me personally, I'd say it took me about a month to be fully "normal" again, although every day after that first week was so much better than any day I'd had while drinking that I barely noticed the occasional emotional downswing. Hope that helps. Please see a doctor. Your life is more important than your career.

--Fenris.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't use meds, I stopped with a friend to call ER if needed. I never had shakes during a hangover, drank a 6 pack of beer every day...boyfriend was with me, but all turned out ok. I've had a seizure while drinking in the past, but no insurance or $ when I stopped. Yeah, I was lucky. I did have hot/cold sweats for a while, though. Everyone is different.

Talk to a doctor.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have experienced shakes,sweats,and hallucinations coming off of alcohol.
I recently got out of a rehab and the detox there was not bad at all.
There was a young man there in his early 20's coming off of alcohol that had a seizure;fell to the floor,and split his head open.He was rushed to an emergency room.You never know who will have life threatening withdrawals.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I think I've heard enough to know I should not attempt to quit cold turkey without talking to my doc. Ugh. I think actually saying it to her will be harder than actually quitting.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to have met you in chat.
Anyways...I remember I had no idea how I was gonna tell my doctor. I initially went in for a physical..figured I would start with that. At the end of the visit, she asked me if there was anything else she could help me with. I blurted out "I'm an alcoholic." She looked up at me and said "What?" I said "I'm an alcoholic and I think I need help."
And she started addressing it like any other medical problem I would have.
It wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All detox is different. I am currently on day 5 of 500th try at quitting. Average day for me for the last few years was 1.5l of wine plus 6-8 beers. Much to my surprise I have had no withdrawal symptoms. No shakes, no sweats, no pains, sleeping great and the biggest surprise is my BP which usually hovers around 140/100 on day 2 has dropped to 110/75. Still advise seeing the Dr. as I did but did not take any of the prescribed meds as I've been feeling great physically. Mentally is another story as I still have strong desire to grab a beer.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lizzer - welcome

the very best thing to do is see your Dr - that way all eventualities are covered, and you can have peace of mind.

I didn't see my doc - and I had a bad last detox. I really wish I had. Talking with them would have been a lot easier than what I went through.

This is a thread of members experiences though - it may be helpful to you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Lizzer...and welcome.

I know that everyone's withdrawl can be different so I will share mine. I drank about a pint of whiskey everyday with a couple of beers for about 2 and a half years. One of the reasons I avoided quiting was a fear of the detox.

Once I had decided that I could no longer sustain a life with alcohol I weened my self down over a few days by cutting my consumption down by half each day. Im not here to say this method would work for most people, but it worked for me. My only withdrawl was a few sleepless nights with some really bizarre dreams.I excercised and drank tons of water as well.

I am so blessed to have made that step and face the fear of quitting.

Wish you wellness.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Try drinking less and drink more water between sips. A little alcohol goes a long way
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

please don't grab a beer man.

GoMan
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Lizzer - I know quite a few medical people who attend AA, including my doctor! I know it's the hardest thing in the world to tell someone about our problem, but when you think about it, those are the people doctors really want to help.

Getting sober was scary, but it's the best thing I ever did. Stay close to this forum - it really helps!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think getting sober and being honest with your doctor is a sure route to avoid losing your licensure in the long run. Either way, better to meet up with them beforehand than to end up in ER -- I would assume that might be more damaging.

I know I've heard of tapering working for some people, however it never worked for me because I never head the willpower to stick to my program. It was all or nothing as far as I was concerned.

I'm glad you found us here, there's lots of support on this board.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again....I at you on our Gratitude Forum earlier.

I'm so glad you will check with your doctor...it's simply in your best interest..