Notices

is counting days good for you

Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is counting days good for you

Day five,

I know we all cant help it, but does counting the days sober help in any way? I know what I like counting and thats the money im saving. About fifty bucks so far. I still have change from a ten I started with on Friday. For those of you who read my post re: getting my steel back from ex exployer, did that, no problem. They actually didnt have mine but antother one waiting for me on the desk; I would have been able to just pick it up and leave. But NO... I had to go into the kitchen and let them know I had the worng one. But it was good, no small talk just biz./

Thanks all,
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It helped me in the beginning...

I was so demoralised back then that even counting days sober was an achievement, and helped my self esteem

There's no right or wrong answer - do what works for you Ventura

D
Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ventura,
Ha, ..... I used to count days for exactly the same reason.
Calculating the 10. a day.

I don't count days anymore, ( various reasons) .....but it's hard for me to visualize ever forgetting the date I finally quit for good.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

counting days can help or hurt...so just do what works for you. If it starts to feel like a negative give it up, if it lifts your spirits go for it.

Seen both sides of this, but its just one tool that helps some hang on when they get off balance and hey! sometimes we just need something to get through a bit longer! Plus I think it does sometimes help people to know some one made it 3 days! I mean, my god what a miricle for an alchoholic!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I counted days until I got to a year, now I count months. It's important to me as it shows me just how far I've come.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think at the beginning most people count but after awhile they stop and move on with their life.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't keep a daily tally but when I'm having a bad day I take a minute and figure it out, sometimes that can help get me through a rough spot.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

We always give chips for every month here. Little incentive to keep adding another 30 days onto your total..

Make every day count though
Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to disagree with most, but when not even thinking about the count, then your on the right road.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It helps me. I don't check every day but whenever I'm needing to check my progress I look it up on my iPromises app! Helps me especially when I'm having a crappy day or don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Helped me. I remember going through withdrawals and getting through minutes seemed a challenge. I no longer count days, but whenever my anniversary day comes up every month, I think, yes, made it through another month. Now, I count years. I am still amazed that I have made it. I thought I was hopeless and would never be able to get sober. It just goes to show that anyone can do it. Where there is a will, there is a way...
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

counting days

Thank you all for your insight, Ill see how it goes for me. I like the month counting once you get up there. But I have a ways to go.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I count years too, but then I like to celebrate all kinds of things in life If counting time causes you a problem, i.e. some people begin thinking "well look I've gone x long now...maybe I could safely drink..." (or anything even remotely along those lines), then I would say obviously don't do it. I've heard alot of different thoughts on this. All very interesting to me.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't count days anymore. Today was a sober day, that's all that matters to me. I really try to live my life in 24 hour increments, and not dwell on the past or future too much.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

I stopped at 120. Living in today, I have a little over 4 months (last sober calculator was 133 days a few days ago).

I have no desire or urge to drink today.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

counting days was counter productive for me. But of course I have a sense of how long it's been and I see that I made it this long, and through this many things clean, so I guess I can keep on a going.
At this point I am counting steps, for me, this time round, that is important, to be truly working the steps and feeling progress.

Maybe down the line I'll be counting something else..goals met, good days, healthy relationships, or maybe I'll be too busy to count.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
I'm sorry to disagree with most, but when not even thinking about the count, then your on the right road.
I have 9229 days +some hr's 'n min's...........uh oh.....guess I'm on the wrong road..................eh....? LOL

(o:
Old 09-29-2011, 03:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I count years too, but then I like to celebrate all kinds of things in life If counting time causes you a problem, i.e. some people begin thinking "well look I've gone x long now...maybe I could safely drink..." (or anything even remotely along those lines), then I would say obviously don't do it. I've heard alot of different thoughts on this. All very interesting to me.
I've heard this too.

For me counting days causes a bit of unnecessary friction. I've made the decision to never drink alcohol again and counting runs contrary to that.

I must admit that it was entertaining at the start to count.

I guess everyone is different though. I get obsessed with numbers.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ventura47 View Post
Day five,

I know we all cant help it, but does counting the days sober help in any way? I know what I like counting and thats the money im saving. About fifty bucks so far. I still have change from a ten I started with on Friday. For those of you who read my post re: getting my steel back from ex exployer, did that, no problem. They actually didnt have mine but antother one waiting for me on the desk; I would have been able to just pick it up and leave. But NO... I had to go into the kitchen and let them know I had the worng one. But it was good, no small talk just biz./

Thanks all,
Does it work for you? That is what you need to focus on.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am at only 50 days, so counting days helps me a lot (as in I can't believe I haven't drank for 50 days), but as time goes on I previously counted months, then years. Whatver works for you is what you should do.