Notices

Day 6

Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6

Let me introduce myself. My name is Seth, I am 37 and I have been an alcoholic for about 24 years.

I walked away from my family and 3 children 11 years ago because I wasn't ready to stop drinking. I have 2 divorces. I have 2 DUIIs. I have lost homes, family, friends, cars, money, and everything else that was important to me. I spent countless days in jail. I have lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 jobs due to my drinking.

I have no contact with any member of my family. I have a wonderful girlfriend of 5 years whom is the only true friend I have left.

I drank almost every day for most of my teens and adult life. I drank anywhere from 2 or 3 bottles of wine (when I had a job to go to or other obligations) to a 1/2 gallon of whiskey. Other than a few attempts to stop drinking and jail time, drinking was an everyday occurrence.

I never thought I would stop. I knew that it would be what killed me, but I just thought that was how my life was foretold. Every single important person in my life has asked or told me to stop drinking. It just made me drink more and hide it better.

I was the guy that was told to stop drinking by other alcoholics. I have even had a couple of interventions and every person in attendance was an alcoholic.

6 days ago, for reasons that I don't know if I will ever understand, I stopped drinking. I think (and hope) that I am through the worst of the withdrawals. I still feel really confused and foggy and my skin still itches pretty bad, but most of the other symptoms have subsided. But, I am also starting to feel a tiny bit of hope for the future. Not a lot, but some. Most days it all I can do to just get out of bed. I think it's slowly getting better, though.

Anyway, I don't know why I felt the need to write this but I appreciate anyone that read it.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Red face

Welcome! I am on day 6 as well after drinking heavily for over 2 years. You are in fine company! Good luck to you on your journey!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats to you, fallingwater. Well done. Good luck to all of us.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Seth and congrats on 6 days. Life without alcohol is possible and so much better! Im Debbie, im 43, been drinking since I was 13, so 30 years of on and off heavy drinking and been trying to give up for the past 4 years. Couldnt get to 2 weeks until this year - usually caved at day 3. Im currently just over 16 weeks sober which is amazing and something I could only have dreamed of a few months ago. This website is very helpful and I also go to AA and am now doing the 12 step programme which I would recommend but not force on anyone. Im not religious but I am willing to go to any lengths to beat this illness, for my own sake and those around me. I wish you the very best of luck and hope to hear more from you as your days progress further away from that last drink.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Seth
I was the guy that was told to stop drinking by other alcoholics.
yeah...and still we ploughed on...

I'm glad you're here Seth - congratulations on your 6 days...and that little flame of hope

D
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post, you can do this and help others along they way, i wish you well...