Notices

Getting sober didn't make me wealthy

Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Getting sober didn't make me wealthy

or powerful, but it gave me peace of mind. I still have the same ol' problems I did before (minus the drinking problem) but I handle them a lot better now. I'm still living on a small fixed income, but I'm not wasting my precious money on wine. I still drive an old car, but I'm no longer in danger of hurting or killing someone while driving drunk.

The changes in my life since getting sober are not earth shaking, huge changes. They are little things that make life worthwhile. Like taking excellent care of my dogs instead of the slipshod care they got when I was drinking. I'm no longer too drunk or sick to take my mother around for errands (she doesn't drive anymore) and do things with her. I'm more of a good neighbor now as I'm not isolating in my room all the time. I'm able to get out and do things for my neighbors.

And tonight I can't sleep but I am grateful that I'm not sitting here with the shakes real bad, pacing the house until I can get my next bottle of wine in the morning.

Getting sober didn't change my life - I changed it! Now that I'm sober I have the power to take my life in any direction I choose. I am no longer a prisoner in a cell I built myself - I'm free!!!

These changes didn't happen overnight, they took time and effort. But oh the rewards are worth the effort!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting sober didn't give me anything either. I bought a foreclosure. Needs complete renovation. Something I really can't afford, but by this winter I will have a new sub floor, and I will have carpeting, and hopefully a kitchen. I now feel like I am living in a barn, but guess what, it is my barn.

I used to joke long time ago, that I would give up my house, any luxuries at all, as long as I was happy, a trailer would be OK. I think it wasn't a joke, I think I meant it, afterall, right now I'm living in a barn, a trailer would be a step up
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm only nine days sober but also enjoying peace of mind. For the second saturday morning in a row I'm awake early and with a clear head and conscience. Normally I'd have been drinking until a couple of hours ago and saturday would be a haze. not any more. I'm taking my life back.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi least,

Getting sober didn't make me rich either, but it did make me better looking since I don't have those bags under my eyes anymore, lol. Now I'm focusing all of my efforts on meeting the right lady, one who doesn't drink and has lots of money to spend on fabulous vacations, lol. Jus kiddin. You're right, I have much more peace of mind most of the time, but on occasion I get the wanna's, I wanna do this, and I wanna do that, and then my gratitude falls in the disposal. When I reach in to get it, sometimes I lose a finger, for I forget to turn it off first, lol.

Thanks for the reality check, I needed it tonight.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Since I quit drinking....I have more health problems...less money...more wrinkles.....less drama...more gratitude and connection to God.

These started to come true for me rather quickly...and remain in my life...

AA Promises

"We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone,
we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things
and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle
situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us
what we could not do for ourselves."

Alcoholics Anonymous, Pages 83/84
First Edition
Old 09-17-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well, I figured I spent at least $5,000 on beer every year, so getting sober has given me more money to spend on other things. I was finally able to afford a new car and some other things that I'd been putting off for years. Those things are nice, but the biggest thing sobriety has given me is peace of mind, which I can't put a price on.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank God I have slept every night for 5 and one half months straight, first time in my 61 years!

At least I have stopped my wasteful spending and can work on what I do have and it's a lot!

Wealth is my health right now and the bank account is so much fuller than a year ago!

Thanks for reminding me.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks least, I that post was a perfect way to start my day!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I love threads like this! Thank you least, and all who posted. I have been sober for a handful of years and I will always be deeply happy about taking my life back. Like others, I've had lots of difficult things happen but nothing is throwing me into a tailspin these days. I am not an AAer, but I have always loved the promises. Especially this part:
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle
situations which used to baffle us.
Thanks again all and happy Saturday

Last edited by soberlicious; 09-17-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: didn't have the full quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time least, thanks for the post.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Thank you for the post Least. It made me stop and think. I'm not rich either by any means but I sure am a better Grandma and mother and wife. That makes me rich in so many other ways.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Those promises are like a box of chocolates to me!

Thanks for the post, Least and all who shared.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome post Least!! thanks! I feel the same!! I am now rich in soul!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Yep, I've got less money too than I did when I quit drinking.

But I would not trade my life today for ten million bucks. There is no comparison.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Great post least! Thank you for sharing.

I agree, getting sober has not changed my life, but now that I am sober I am able to start changing my life myself (with God's help)
Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One of the lessons I've learned in sobriety is to be grateful for what I have ....not feel sorry for myself for what I don't have. Sure its hard some days...but unlike when I was drinking, I don't wallow in it anymore. I was the champion at that.

I'm divorced now...poor as a church mouse with problems galore and Sober! I was a miserable married, comfortable DRUNK. I'll take sobriety any day. I can look in the mirror clear eyed and grateful I made it through the darkness.

Sobriety is something I work on everyday in one way or another. It's not easy and its not something I take for granted. It takes HARD work to move forward. It's all up to me to take care of my mental, physical and spiritual health.

Least...I loved your Post...Thank You for the reminder.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks least....congrats on your sobriety. I am not rich either and am not rich in soul...but I believe being rich in soul is achievable and am ever so grateful to be sober today and will not give up. Thanks SR!!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
These changes didn't happen overnight, they took time and effort. But oh the rewards are worth the effort!
I'm not working near as hard at staying sober as I did staying drunk, and I'm having a lot more fun in the process. Buying, hiding, drinking, lying, planning, pacing, clock watching, was all a lot of work. Life is good and I notice myself smiling now. What's up with that? If opportunity knocks at my door, I'm now sober enough to answer it.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by least View Post
or powerful, but it gave me peace of mind. I still have the same ol' problems I did before (minus the drinking problem) but I handle them a lot better now...
Before enlightenment; chopping wood - fetching water.

After enlightenment; chopping wood - fetching water - drinking the water instead of booze.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, least! I live comfortably in my own skin today, too!